Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1997 Megane 2.0 auto classic which has been serviced since new and is immaculate. However the air rec. started to click when in the off position and then the heater fan stopped working.
After a couple of weeks the car would no longer start, although the engine turned over.
A local garage tested it and their conclusion was the gearbox was faulty and the engine ecu was shutting the ignition down to save further problems.
I have never had any problem with the gearbox (car has only done 77000miles)
Does anyone have any ideas or could give me help. I am a disabled motorist who lives on an isolated farm in the south west.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Thank you in advance.

A

·
0 Posts
I would like to say sorry, I was hoping that someone would step in with an answer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have never heard of a faulty gearbox shutting down an engine, and would be very surprised if that was the case. You can check some things yourself. Switch on the ignition. You should hear the fuel pump run for 3-5 seconds. Remove a sparkplug and see if it sparks when you crank the engine. Check the fusebox for blown fuses. If you are unable to check things yourself, you should definately get a second opinion from another garage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 1997 Megane 2.0 auto classic which has been serviced since new and is immaculate. However the air rec. started to click when in the off position and then the heater fan stopped working.
After a couple of weeks the car would no longer start, although the engine turned over.
A local garage tested it and their conclusion was the gearbox was faulty and the engine ecu was shutting the ignition down to save further problems.
I have never had any problem with the gearbox (car has only done 77000miles)
Does anyone have any ideas or could give me help. I am a disabled motorist who lives on an isolated farm in the south west.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Thank you in advance.
The engine management light comes on and stays on. It didn't before this trouble.
The car does not fire at all and no sign of ignition.
Up until now I have never had any problems and the car ran just fine.
The heater fan stopped working and then the air recirc. started to make a clicking noise when off, so I left it on and took out the fuses.
Thank you all for replying and I hope this extra info will be of use.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have never heard of a faulty gearbox shutting down an engine, and would be very surprised if that was the case. You can check some things yourself. Switch on the ignition. You should hear the fuel pump run for 3-5 seconds. Remove a sparkplug and see if it sparks when you crank the engine. Check the fusebox for blown fuses. If you are unable to check things yourself, you should definately get a second opinion from another garage.

The engine management light comes on and stays on. It didn't before this trouble.
The car does not fire at all and no sign of ignition.
Up until now I have never had any problems and the car ran just fine.
The heater fan stopped working and then the air recirc. started to make a clicking noise when off, so I left it on and took out the fuses.
Thank you all for replying and I hope this extra info will be of use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts