Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,i have a question regarding water pump.i am driving a Renault Megane Cabriolet 2001,1.6,16V.Last week,i noticed a small patch of coolant leak on the floor.my mechanic says it could be a leak at the water pump.however,i had changed the water pump at 60000km servicing and my mileage now is only 30000km more.i had thought that water pumps should last more than 60000km,don't they?i noticed that the coolant leaked on the right side of the car whereas my coolant reservoir(overflow) is on the left side of the car.does this also points to a water pump leak?also,i noticed that there were no more coolant leaking on the floor since then but the level of coolant in the reservoir is slowing dropping.is there a way to tell for sure if it is indeed the water pump that is leaking as i have been trying to locate it but could not.should i look under the hood or under the car and how does it looks like?please help.thanks!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Leaking Water Pump

Yep sounds like the water pump. When the seal inside it starts to go it starts to drip usually only when the engine is running - that why it stops after you've parked up. Pumps areysually good for 30,000 mile or so but they can fail sooner if the cam belt has been incorrectly tensioned. As far as I remember the water pump is located behind the timing belt cover.:)
P.S. Get it sorted soon cos if it fails there is a high risk of causing serious engine damage possibly costing £800:)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
EDIT: Just noticed that you'd stated the coolant level was dropping. The water pump is bolted directly to the engine block (unlike the alternator), and will be driven by a belt. You would probably want to view this from below (as you'll see the point of origin a bit clearer - use a mirror as well). It may be a hose or jubilee clip which is to blame - don't automatically presume the worst.

Just a thought here - are you sure that its coolant that you've spotted? Have you needed to top-up fluids?

The reason I ask is that it may simply be condensation from using your air-conditioning - place a clear jar under the car and check the liquid for colour & odour to be sure what it is before proceeding.

For the record, I would believe that a water pump should last a lot more than 30,000 Kilometres (which is only 18,600 miles), unless for some other factor - i.e. coolant not regulated & changed, or the belt is tensioned too high.

My Scorpio has almost 135,000 miles (circa 216,000 Kilometres) and has only had one change of pump.

All the best with your investigations.

Paul:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts