Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya Folks , newbie here, thought id post a remedy to a problem ive had with my convertible (2000 reg Mk 1 megane convertible)I found that if while putting the roof down the power fails the car emits a warning signal and the roof lid will not operate and you have to use the override in the boot ( pull strap and release hydraulic presure valve).To fix the problem, first lift the roof lif and prop it open ( first release the roof and use the roof control button untill it beeps a lot) undo the 2 bolts holding the back of the seat pull seat forward to expose 4 torx bolts, remove these and un plug the power conectors remove the motor assembly and then simply get 2 wires conect one to possitive of a car battery and and the other to the negative.connect the negative wire to the black wire on the motor and then do same with the live, the worm motor should now retract to its correct possition. replace the motor assembly and connect the wires etc in reverse of the way it was removed.Un prop the roof lid and activate the roof button, you should now here the motor activate, roof lid should go up and rooff should now retract as it should normaly. ive done this twice on mine so i know it works, any questions , feel free to ask.

·
Administrator
10,981 Posts
Hey Cameraman, thanks for the tip and welcome to the forum! :d

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey i have a 2001 renault megane i went to put the roof down the other day and nothing happens it just make a beeping sound do u know how i could fix it without taking it to a shop?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks to myredsportscar on this forum - he gave these instructions and they have worked for me around 4 times now.

1) Release hydraulics on hood cover by undoing the small tap located in the boot (under left hand carpet in boot)
2) Pull manual release for boot cover – located in the boot area <> rear seat compartment (Step 1 and Step 2 better documented in the owners manual)
3) With the Hood nearly closed (but with the back window in the air !) and the hood cover opened – by hand, remove the 2 nuts that hold the rear seat onto the rear bulkhead.
4) Now use a star / torque drive to remove the 4 screws that hold the hood release mechanism onto the rear bulkhead.
5) There is no need to disconnect any cables just remove from the cable clips.
6) The release mechanism can now be viewed easily. Look to re-engage the cam that the emergency release cable is attached to into the metal arm that is driven from the worm gear on the motor.
7) May need to engage small micro switches on the mechanism to get the worm gear to operate (do this very carefully and by holding the switches on while operating the hood from inside the cab. (need 2 people for this) Operate the hood only for short 1-second bursts until the worm gear allows the cam to drop easily back into place.
8) All above sounds complicated but actually when you have the mechanism laying in front of you in the hood storage space area its very straight forward and should take 30 – 40 minutes maximum for someone who has seen it once before.

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18100&page=2

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi cameraman,
I have a 2005 Megane that has a roof problem that it started by itself after leaving the car parked 2 weeks, I think the water of the rain has infiltrate into the car some how!
I red your post above but I am not so keen to do this by myself, if you are located near west London could you help me do this against some payment if you wish!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a problem with the roof of my 2004 Renault Megane cabriolet and I traced the problem to a faulty microswitch with the help of my trusty multimeter. In the boot on the left hand side, there is the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) a plastic box which can be removed after undoing the two nuts with a 10mm spanner. With the ignition off, disconnect the 20 pin connector from the ECU and check between each contact on the connector and ground (car chassis) to confirm the correct microswitch operation. See attached files for details.

The fault was traced to the Roof arch ram switch (lowered)on pin 19. It was found to be open circuit when the hood was stowed, preventing the hood cover from closing. Instead, there were 6 beeps at that point. Once the fault was corrected, it worked perfectly.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All.
I have a 2001 and my hood started to open, then stopped. It closed agin on the button. I couldn't try again as my soon to be Mrs Elliott came out to me. Any ideas? On my hood not wife to be!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hiya Folks , newbie here, thought id post a remedy to a problem ive had with my convertible (2000 reg Mk 1 megane convertible)I found that if while putting the roof down the power fails the car emits a warning signal and the roof lid will not operate and you have to use the override in the boot ( pull strap and release hydraulic presure valve).To fix the problem, first lift the roof lif and prop it open ( first release the roof and use the roof control button untill it beeps a lot) undo the 2 bolts holding the back of the seat pull seat forward to expose 4 torx bolts, remove these and un plug the power conectors remove the motor assembly and then simply get 2 wires conect one to possitive of a car battery and and the other to the negative.connect the negative wire to the black wire on the motor and then do same with the live, the worm motor should now retract to its correct possition. replace the motor assembly and connect the wires etc in reverse of the way it was removed.Un prop the roof lid and activate the roof button, you should now here the motor activate, roof lid should go up and rooff should now retract as it should normaly. ive done this twice on mine so i know it works, any questions , feel free to ask.
My problem is the seal on the roof it's been fixed 5 times now & still leaks any ideas that is in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi would someone be able to give me a call over the roof situation please I'm struggling thanks
Number Removed cheers

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,650 Posts
Better off stating your problem
Have removed your phone number..

·
Registered
1 Posts
This worked perfectly for me.
Many thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Team, Slightly different issue here, really great to see an active community for these vehicles!

I've just attained a mk1 Megane convertible and what a beautiful little car. Unfortunately the electric hood doesn't do anything. When purchasing the previous owner advised he had never used it, and had only used the manual opening method.

When I open the hood to begin the lift procedure it makes no noise. pushing the open button in any position registers three short bleeps in succession and no other activity. I've gone into the stow compartment and reset the release catch as per instructions above but all that provides me with is the inability to close the compartment hatch which is less than useful.

I'm reasonably savvy with vehicles and electrics but without wiring diagrams I'm pretty much flying blind for any testing. can anyone advise my best next steps for addressing this issue? I've already had two requests for videos of the top opening and I'd love to oblige ;). I should note that the hydraulic pump does seem to be a little low on fluid (<1cm below min line when fully open) but I can't see this causing the whole operation to fail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update: I found another thread in this great resource which identified that there was a fourth microswitch on the rear passenger's side of the hood which tells the computer when the hood is completely closed. the clip which held this in place had popped out. popping it back in and closing the hood completely got the power flowing again and I was able to make the thing do things. Unfortunately, it won't fully open as the fluid level is too low. now I need to go get some ISO 32 hydraulic oil to top it up :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks to myredsportscar on this forum - he gave these instructions and they have worked for me around 4 times now.

1) Release hydraulics on hood cover by undoing the small tap located in the boot (under left hand carpet in boot)
2) Pull manual release for boot cover – located in the boot area <> rear seat compartment (Step 1 and Step 2 better documented in the owners manual)
3) With the Hood nearly closed (but with the back window in the air !) and the hood cover opened – by hand, remove the 2 nuts that hold the rear seat onto the rear bulkhead.
4) Now use a star / torque drive to remove the 4 screws that hold the hood release mechanism onto the rear bulkhead.
5) There is no need to disconnect any cables just remove from the cable clips.
6) The release mechanism can now be viewed easily. Look to re-engage the cam that the emergency release cable is attached to into the metal arm that is driven from the worm gear on the motor.
7) May need to engage small micro switches on the mechanism to get the worm gear to operate (do this very carefully and by holding the switches on while operating the hood from inside the cab. (need 2 people for this) Operate the hood only for short 1-second bursts until the worm gear allows the cam to drop easily back into place.
8) All above sounds complicated but actually when you have the mechanism laying in front of you in the hood storage space area its very straight forward and should take 30 – 40 minutes maximum for someone who has seen it once before.

Renault Megane 1 - Closing Cabrio Roof,Excellent Info
Thank you !! Got my mechanic friend to read your instructions and fixed it easy 😊

·
Registered
15 Posts
Update: I found another thread in this great resource which identified that there was a fourth microswitch on the rear passenger's side of the hood which tells the computer when the hood is completely closed. the clip which held this in place had popped out. popping it back in and closing the hood completely got the power flowing again and I was able to make the thing do things. Unfortunately, it won't fully open as the fluid level is too low. now I need to go get some ISO 32 hydraulic oil to top it up :)
Where exactly is the micro switch???? I have the same problem

1 - 20 of 22 Posts