Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My first post...prob of many :)

My problem is that in my girlfriends car (a 00 reg Megane coupe - facelift model - 1.4 16 valve) since yesterday, all of a sudden the car is not idleing right, and also when driven its is if theres no power and sometimes intermittant power. While this is happening rpm seems to be stable enough. When the car is sitting parked the rpm needle fluctuates slightly. Also if you knock on the lights/heater the vibration in the car gets worse.
When driving at 30-40+mph in 3rd gear the car has no power - you need to keep foot to the floor - and sometimes the car regains its normal pace for about 8-10 seconds- jerks- and goes back to being sluggish.

all of this since yesterday!!!

Please help? any ideas?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum.:)

If you have a search for 'Pencil Coils' you should find the info you need.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks a lot. Was having heart failure thinking it might be something major. Never came across that kind of fault before. Basicly I thought I was in big trouble because the girlfriend only bought the car last week (privatly - so no warrenty) and asked me to look over it to make sure it was ok (her trusting me because im an aircraft mechanic by trade). Felt like a bit of a fool when she came down from Dublin to collect the car and it started shuddering and vibrating and is basically un-drivable.
Any idea how much these pencil coils are going to be? and what the probability of it actually being the coils that are gone is?:confused:
Thanks again guys
Bob:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Aftermarket coils are available for around £25 each,genuine Renault ones are closer to £40.The probability of a coil causing your problem is very high,it is an extremely common occurance.

Run the engine at idle,and disconnect the injectors one at a time(hidden at the front of the engine).Listen for a engine note change,if there is one that coil is OK,if the note stays the same,then that coil is faulty.

It's always advisable to change them all,together with the plugs at the same time,but obviously this isn't always financially possible.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts