Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
This is my first post and hope someone can help.
I have recently bought a 2001 megane,when i first got the car i noticed that the air con pump was permanently engaged, pressing the air con button on the dash made no difference all this did was switch on the fan behind the radiator, upon further investigation i noticed that one of the two cables leading to the plug on the compressor had a red cable connected to it (soldered on, not part of the loom) which is permanently live with the ignition on and appears to go to a box of sorts with a metal shroud on the nearside front engine bay, i disconnected the red cable and the clutch on the compressor dis-engaged.
The compressor clutch does not engage when the button is pressed but the fan behind the rad still switches on.

anyone got an idea what the problem is?

Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

Does the aircon actually work when the compressor is running?

The system has obviously been tampered with,so if you bought it from a dealer I'd get it back them and get it sorted.If it was a private sale,then get back to us as to wether the system works or not.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, i dont think it was working when the clutch was engaged as the air temp from the vent was not very cold. I did try one of the top up cans from halfords on the advice of a local garage which made very little difference, if any.

I bought the car privately so have no come-back. I did get some service history though and this showed that the air conditioning compressor was replaced about 18 months ago by a renault dealer. Don't know if this extra cable was put in at this time nor whether the air con was working properly after the compressor was replaced.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts