Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all hope someone can help. I have a blowing sound coming from my 1.5dc megane engine. It's the exact sound an place as the last time the washer went. It cost me £100 to get it done last time which for a washer I thought was expensive. My question is this... Is it just a case of unscrewing the injector, removing washer and sitting a new one in and doing it back up? Is there any technical stuff that will also need doing or is that it. I'm by no means any sort of mechanic but I can't see it being worthwhile paying someone £100 to do something I should be able to do myself. Thanks for any help on this problem

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Your method in theory is OK.

Getting the injector out and having the special tool to clean the injector seat may be the problem.:)

·
Banned
1,675 Posts
Your method in theory is OK.

Getting the injector out and having the special tool to clean the injector seat may be the problem.:)
Perhaps that is why it was not done right last time.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hi all hope someone can help. I have a blowing sound coming from my 1.5dc megane engine. It's the exact sound an place as the last time the washer went. It cost me £100 to get it done last time which for a washer I thought was expensive. My question is this... Is it just a case of unscrewing the injector, removing washer and sitting a new one in and doing it back up? Is there any technical stuff that will also need doing or is that it. I'm by no means any sort of mechanic but I can't see it being worthwhile paying someone £100 to do something I should be able to do myself. Thanks for any help on this problem
In theory you're right,but there are a few pit falls to the job.

The high pressure fuel pipe running to the injector from the rail is supposed to be replaced any time it is removed as the ends are crush-fittings and use once only.I have re-used the pipes in the past with success,but sometimes they can leak which means that high pressure diesel can escape which not only upsets the running of the car but is potentially dangerous.

Also,as the injector seal has been leaking previously the injector may be very tight to remove due to carbon build up.This can make the job much more involved and labour intensive.There are special pullers available for some injectors/engines but they aren't cheap.

You will also need to clean the seat in the head where the washer sits.Again there are special tools available for this,you can improvise but you must make sure no debris ends up in the cylinder otherwise serious engine damage can occur.

You must also make sure that all diesel lines and connections are spotlessly clean as even small particles can screw up the injectors.

I'm not trying to put you off doing the job,but changing a 50p washer can end up being a very expensive job if not done properly.having said that,if the job was done properly last time you wouldn't be the having the further problems you're experiencing now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts