Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
We took the K7M lump out of our 1998 megane to fit new clutch + head gasket. Re fitted, connected everything up, fired up, ran for 2 secs and died. Since then, nothing.
We have got the key number and re-set the immobiliser when it then fired once but did not run. Checked the inertia switch. Only thing I can think of, this is the only car I have ever worked on where the fuel feed and return pipes are exactly the same size and fittings and you can't tell which is which and we never thought to mark them. It's fairly obvious which is the feed pipe if you turn the key and fuel is pumped out but which end of the rail does it go? Some help here would be much appreciated.

·
La sola lupo
2,521 Posts
From the top of my head, i think the feed is connected on the gearbox side and the return on the pulley side.
Can you hear the fuel pump when you switch the car on?

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Have you taken both pipes off hold them over a bowl and turn the key .. that will tell you if you are getting fuel and which is feed line

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Impact, got that right now, but still no joy. I am wondering if there is a blockage somewhere. Should the pump run continuously when the ignition is switched on? Only this runs for about 2 secs and then stops, every time you switch the ignition on.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Thanks, Impact, got that right now, but still no joy. I am wondering if there is a blockage somewhere. Should the pump run continuously when the ignition is switched on? Only this runs for about 2 secs and then stops, every time you switch the ignition on.

no mate the pump only runs a few seconds to build pressure in the pipes. so if you got fuel that far have you double checked the injector rail is all connected up? if so try taking the rail off after cranking see if any petrol fumes come off it that way you know its putting the petrol in .. then it leaves spark,

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,503 Posts
I'm assuming that you've checked timing hasn't slipped when it fired up for that short time ?

Had you got fuel pipes back to front ?
Can see why it wouldn't start if you had but don't think it would cause permanent damage.

Back to basics otherwise. Pull the plugs after cranking and see if they are wet..which would indicate fuel and injectors/system OK
Check plugs for sparks with them resting on engine.
If those are okay, compression check.

Also worth looking for any leaks into inlet manifold. Did you replace seals when you did the head ?

You mentioned immobiliser. Are you sure that is okay now ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts