Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday had the shock of my life to discover that my 1month old Megane Authentique had rolled down the gentle slope of the street I live on crashing into a tree. This despite the fact that the handbrake was FULLY on.

Anyone else had this kind of problem??

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
If the car is parked when the disks are hot, then it is possible that as they cool down, the disk and pads could part slightly. I think the Citroen BX suffered from this.
Simple solution - always leave the car in gear on a manual, or in 'Park' on an automatic.

S

·
0 Posts
yogesh_bhat said:
Yesterday had the shock of my life to discover that my 1month old Megane Authentique had rolled down the gentle slope of the street I live on crashing into a tree. This despite the fact that the handbrake was FULLY on.

Anyone else had this kind of problem??
Christ - hope it wasn't damaged too much!

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Did it have an electric handbrake or the "normal" type? Always park in gear (or "P" for an auto); the handbrake is primarily there to act as an emergency brake if the footbrakes fail. Never rely on the handbrake alone to hold the car when parking. Sorry to hear your tale of woe and hope that you get your car fixed ASAP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers,

It was the normal "aircraft" style one.

Usually I do leave manuals in gear if i'm parking on any half decent incline, but the slope of the road where I live is gentle to ssay the least. I certainly won't be relying on the handbrake ever again that's for sure.

We'll see how things pan out. . .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've yet to get it formally assessed, but the damage could certainly have been a lot lot worse.

Most importantly no one else was affected.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep that's what i've heard from a few people since.

You can bet I won't be relying solely on the handbrake from now. . .

A

·
0 Posts
remember Citroens being on the news for that problem

hope the damage was not great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi there, i had the same problem just over a month ago, i parked up put the handbrake on went inside but 5 minutes later to my shock my car rolled down a hill into a wall, knocked a lampost over and hit a little boy it cause £4500 of damage. it cause 5 police cars 2 ambulances a rapid repsonse the road to be shut of and alot of embarrassment as th whole street was out. I couldnt believe what had happened.. the police told me it was a common fault in cars like these so im takin my complait bak to the dealer...it was a lot of money to lose for a fault!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts