Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi can anyone help,took my megane to garage to get oil change a few months back,basically since then its developed oil leak.i took it back to garage and ive been told that its proberly the head gasket thats blown..now im puzzled,im not losing water,cars not overheating and its running no probs whatsoever..the only sign is an oil leak which seems to be coming from behind the exhaust manafold..can someone please give me some advice..cheers

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
This is quite common - engine going well but leaking oil but if left unattended will only become worse and could lead to more serious damage.:)

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Check to see if you can pin the leak down to an exact spot, easy said I know, but mop up and keep checking. If it's coming out of the engine block then it can only be the head gasket AFAIK. :confused:

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi my friend has just been through the very same thing but its was good in one sence she only had to have the head took off and a new gasket put on the head had not been damaged it had only blow the gasget out,new oil and filter and it cost around £250-£300 at her local independent garage.Let us know who you get on i hope this helps Donald.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the advice everyone..just one more thing,iv been told that if the head gasket goes and i replace it, it will prob go again..is this correct?

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
It is impossible to tell the extent of any damage until the head has been removed - but if the job is done properly there is no reason why it should cause problems in the future.:)

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
The E7J and K7J engines are prone to oil leaking from the head gasket. It is due to the high pressure oil feed to the head/camshaft journals that just gives up over time.
It is difficult to spot as the exhaust manifold/heatshield hides it..

I wifes own megane leaked for the 3 years she had it as I didn't get round fixing it. So I just cleaned the oil of the block and more importantly the CAT/Exhaust every few months..

The job itself to change the gasket is very easy and should only take 3-4 hours total to complete..

My advice is also to replace the Cambelt and water pump at the same time..

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Properly meaning skimming the head - otherwise whatever is causing the leak is likely to remain and cause it again, it's not simply just a case of refitting it properly. It is true that a car can fail for this over and over again, with as little as a few months in between. :) ..but it doesn't necessarily mean it will, it all depends why it failed in the first place and how early you deal with it. If you wait for a catastrphic failure then you could be in for a shock, you may need far more than just a new gasket, particularly if you warp the head. :crazy:

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Cylinder head gaskets

Couple of additional pointers to ensure head gasket don't blow again. As already said the head should be skimmed (this means reground by a special machine) - but there are a number of points to consider when this is being done.
1. Ensure the skimming is done in such a way that the result is perfectly flat and any amounts removed are taken equally across the entire surface. Also what is removed should within the parameters and dimensions of the head.
2. Only use new good quality gaskets.
3. Renew the cylinder head bolts - once a bolt is stretched it never returns to its normal length and looses much of its elasticity which is essential for it to retain its necessary torque.
4. Cleanliness can never be stressed enough - also ensure each cylinder head bolt/stud hole is perfectly clean as dirt, oil, water etc., can cause cracks and inaccurate torques.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts