Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon everybody,

Im in desperate need of help and was hoping someone on here could enlighten me.

A couple of months ago I encountered the dreaded fuel pressure problem with my megane IDE engine. Basically the car would run ok but once it got going and heated up, as soon as I slowed down (i.e. hit traffic) the electrical warning light would come on and it wouldnt go above 3000rpm, and within a couple of minutes the dash would light up and the engine died. Initially when the AA guy hooked his computer up it came up as 'fuel pressure sensor A circuit'. Everytime this happened I left the car to cool for about 15 minutes and then it would run fine for the rest of the journey.

Anyway, I finally sourced a sensor off a very helpful guy on ebay and on Sunday I finally managed to replace it and everything seemed fine initially. However, when I managed to give it a good run in today the electrical warning light was on and off constantly, a lot earlier than it was before hand (it seemed to come on whenever I took my foot off the pedal), however, this time I was still able to go over 3000rpm when it was on. And to top it off, on my way home just now the engine managment light came on when I was stopped at lights, and yet again as soon as I slow down the engine kills itself.

I know there is a lot there but please can anybody shed a little light on the situation, i'm on a course tomorrow and really need the car!

Thanks for listening,

Gaz

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thing you will find it is the fuel pressure regulator thats gone and it gets worse this part is on back order from renault and they dont know when it will be in. sorry for the bad news. I know this because I am in the same boat as you. top tip disconect the fan sensor so it stays on, this will keep the engine cooler and run longer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feared just as much. It just seemed strange that it got worse as soon as I changed the sensor. I kind of hoped it would have been something simple like clearing the fault codes!

Don't think I will be hanging around for Renault to get their act together, the regulator can be picked up from ebay for £150 if you're after one.

Also, does anyone have any advice on getting the regulator out? It seems like it should just pull out but when I tried removing mine it was well and truly stuck in there. I didn't want to pull too hard incase I was missing something or does it just require a bit of brute force and ignorance? And yes, I did take the 2 screws out first....!

Cheers,

Gaz

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I did the regulator on my IDE Laguna about two months ago. Here's the thread

IDE Fuel Pressure Fault

The regulator will just pull out after removing the two screws. Can be a bit tight. Make sure everything is very clean - you don't want any dust or fibres entering the high pressure fuel circuit. Have the new one ready to swap directly in or cap the hole off.

Ian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the help gents. Regulator is now on it's way so hopefully I can get it sorted before I tackle the M6 on Friday!!!!

Hopefully this fixes it once and for all, I've had just about all the common faults the IDE is notorious for over the last 18 months. It's a shame because when it's working it's a great engine.

Thanks again,

Gaz

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi iv recently bought a 2000 megane convertible 2.0 ide, im sure you are all shocked to hear that it has developed a regulator or sensor fault. after reading the same thing again and again i thought to myself, is there no way of modifying it yourself? prevention is better than cure so im told.

from research iv found that the regulator sticks because it gets too hot (same with the sensor)

once its repaired i was thinking maybe wrapping the exhaust manifold, change the thermostat to a lower temp running one (although im unsure of a replacement, if no oem equivalent can be found there is quiet a few motorsport engineering firms offering the hardware/software necessary to do this task), maybe even go as far as adding an aftermarket oil cooler? or even a cold air feed pipe directed onto the fuel rail? removal of the engine cover should help disperse heat awel?

am i mad or am i onto somthing? suggestions urgently required!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.