Independent Renault Forums banner

Megane ii loud tapping noise

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  cheekyvimmto 
#1 ·
Hey guys i have a 2004 1.4 16v megane, i started my car this morning and the oil stop light came on so i filled it up but then half way to work the engine developed a tapping noise and then went away but now it has come back again twice as loud. the tapping is now so loud im frightened to start the thing back up. the noise seems to be coming from the top of the engine and also seems to be a little smoke coming up from the back of the engine where the timing belt housing is.
any help would be appreciated

#2 ·
Unlucky!

Sounds like cambelt has slipped a tooth, I have seen this a few times. You're right not to start it if it is banging away and smoke eminating. There is a haynes manual on Megane mk2 if its a job you think you're capable of doing - of hand I don't know how easy your engine is.

I'd wait for more feedback before undertaking a job like that as there may be some engine specific fixes I do not know about.

Best of luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.