Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have had a problem with power loss from the throttle whilst driving. The car is 5/6 years old and has 67,000 on the clock.

Having found a seperate thread on here it suggested cleaning the Throttle Body with carb cleaner. I am doing this tomorrow.

If this doesn't work and it needs replacing, is it better to get it done by Renault or can it be done just as well on the driveway? Renault & the independent garage that discovered the problem, have both mentioned the new part needing to be synced into the onboard computer systems. Is this true?

What do you advise? Renault want £450 (inc Labour + VAT), part can be bought for £80 online.

Cheers for any help you can offer

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Garfster2609.

On the Clio, the procedure is...

Switch on the ignition for approx. 3 seconds, then start the engine.
Switch off the ignition, and wait for approx. 5 seconds.
Restart the engine and allow the coolant temp. to reach 60c (approx. 3 minutes).
Road test the car on different types of roads to allow the ECU to re-learn.

It might be the same for the Megane, but check the Haynes manual, it may be in there.

G

·
I would have personally thought cleaning the throttle body would make any difference? Basically it's just a butterfly flap that controls the flow air into the inlet manifold. They don't usually get very dirty as most of the air is filtered it's only the air coming from the crank case breather that isn't which will have some oil residue.

I have just changed a throttle body on a 2001 Scenic and it appears to working ok so far so I'm not sure that they do need setting up with diagnostic equipment? Maybe that is the case with later cars?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think the "drive by wire" Throttle Bodies need the re-programming (or re-learning). ie, those controled electronically rather than those controlled via a cable.

For the cleaning of the Throttle Bodies, I know mine needs it as my car was running rich for a while due to o2 sensor problems. I think that meant the recirculation system had more gunk to deposit, which can end up on the Throttle Body. I'm not sure how much gunk ends up on the Throttle Body via normal means. I wouldn't have checked mine if it were not for the o2 sensor issues.

I think (again, just I think as i'm not a real mechanic), the issues of the Throttle Body gunking up due to the recirculation system depositing the gunk on the butterfly, which can cause it to stick. When this happens, it won't open/close as nice as it should, and therefore power issues result.

G

·
I think the "drive by wire" Throttle Bodies need the re-programming (or re-learning). ie, those controled electronically rather than those controlled via a cable.
That is exactly the type I used and it didn't need re-programing? Maybe I was just lucky.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I recently bought (a very cheap) Laguna with the fly by wire set up that was permanently in limp home mode. You could clear the fault codes and within 4-5 starts they would all return. On reading through the piles of paperwork that came with the car I came across a receipt for £395 to supply at fit a new throttle body by a non franchise garage. After doing a little research I suspected that the updated software had not been loaded, trip to local Renault dealer and they uploaded said software and touch wood a week later seems to have cured all my problems.

Now I suspect my car being an early Laguna II estate originally had the older type plastic throttle body whereas the new one fitted was the later type metal one, hence my suspicion. Althought they have the same part number they are made by different manufacturers so I suspect they use different protocols. Renault advised that there should have been a CD with the new throttle body to carry out this update to the ECU but as the change was carried out by a non franchised garage I suspect they did not have the correct hardware (Renault Can Clip) to upload.

Hope that helps in some way.

You may be lucky swapping like for like throttle bodies and have no need to update software but knowing Renault I doubt it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for all of these replies. Gave the thorttle body a thorough clean with carb cleaner and it was shining when done! Problem persisted.

Took it to Renault, who ran a diagnostic and said it was the fuel pump. It was not generating enough pressure apparently. Replaced the inner valve as the whole pump unit came with the wrong connectors. Problem is still persisting!

However, this morning I found a fuel leak that appears to be coming from the petrol tank. Any advice on a cheap method of repairing this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fault code P-638 on Modus 1.4,98 hp Cleaned throttle body and spark plugs and car work fine two weeks and again start to go in Limp mode with same Check injection/emission code. Clear the code and check values. Went in service and they changed the throttle body and after two days same problem, so I have saved lastnight values . Can someone can tell is the values good or nor and what to try. thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.