Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Further to my Megane III RS Replica Thread here

I thought i'd post some more details about the aftermarket 7" Chinese DVD, GPS headunit. The system is CANBUS enabled and works perfectly with steering wheel controls.

My setup and configuration of the system is as follows:

• Primo 1.2 with latest maps on SD Card.
  • Extended auxiliary RCA video & audio input to a surface mounted plate in the glovebox
  • Extended iPod Connector to the glovebox
  • Replaced the Standard RCA auxiliary port that came with the car, with a USB port connected to this system
  • Reverse camera (Mounted Flush) wired via a voltage regulator.
  • GPS Antenna concealed inside top of the A pillar lining magnetically mounted to car body
Below are some pics of the system and my setup:

And here is a spanish youtube video review of the system by a user in spain.

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
Ahh , I wondered about the Ebay big screen meg III version .and had anyone tried it , awhile ago in a post.
Good to know it works well for the next time I get some spare cash!

Pity they dont do a servo motorised version that just extends up when you activate it..
I didnt notice the unit in your other threads.I assumed it was a standard renault sat screen ( I have the low basic display).

Ill take a punt here n guess electrics /electronics is something you know a bit about :)

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the system definately works well. The bluetooth has built in A2DP which is nice for wirelessly listening to music from iphone.

I've taken a couple more photos of the rear-view camera.

Also, the graphics for the primo navigation software is very nice. Works well

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also liked to upgrade my OEM Sound System to this Chinese aftermarket one, however; I am afraid of its unreliability.. so for how long have you been using it ? Does it worth the money paid into it ??

Thank you

Regards
Muhammad

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also liked to upgrade my OEM Sound System to this Chinese aftermarket one, however; I am afraid of its unreliability.. so for how long have you been using it ? Does it worth the money paid into it ??
I've had it installed since early December and it has been working perfectly fine. Have not had any reliability issues with it. I've just recently worked out how to hack it so I can gain access to the core WinCE OS and make my own Interface designs.

I paid about £280 for it. And for that sort of money it is well worth it.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
34 Posts
Very Nice.. especially about the possibility to hack the core WinCE OS so you can change the UI .. The original one is not that good.. Feels cheap a bit..

Just another question.. Was changing the 2 RCA Connections to USB/AUX hard ?? or It was just a direct fit.. Just connect the USB/3.5mm AUX jack directly to the headunit..

I have been following your blog for 2 months now to see your progress especially about the Headlight Projector

Thank you again :)

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just another question.. Was changing the 2 RCA Connections to USB/AUX hard ?? or It was just a direct fit.. Just connect the USB/3.5mm AUX jack directly to the headunit..
Well it's not actually a direct fit. The replacement 1Din unit has a USB port at the back and comes with a USB extension lead. Ofcourse having a USB extension lead hanging out of somewhere looks absolutely horrible, so instead what you do is buy a surface mount usb port from maplin. You then mount that surface mount usb port to the aux faceplate and cut the USB extension lead and solder it on.

Hope that answers your questions and makes sense :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
uhmmm.. I don't know if I understood this correctly or not. From where have you got the USB/3.5mm AUX faceplate? From Maplin ?

About the PCB that the USB is needed to be soldered onto.. Was it included with the faceplate too ??

I know I ask lot of questions... But I hope I am that not sort of an annoying person.

Thank you :)

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
uhmmm.. I don't know if I understood this correctly or not. From where have you got the USB/3.5mm AUX faceplate? From Maplin ?

About the PCB that the USB is needed to be soldered onto.. Was it included with the faceplate too ??

I know I ask lot of questions... But I hope I am that not sort of an annoying person.

Thank you :)

The PCB board that I have on my picture is actually from a donor car that had the USB port. So what I did was open it up completely and solder up a USB extension lead to the PCB. And I soldered up an audio cable to the 3.5mm jack and linked it to the Aux in on the 1 DIN unit.

But what I meant by buying surface mount USB socket is that if you currently have a RCA port. You can simply pop out the circuit board and mount generic USB mounts on the surface. Hope that makes sense. If you want I can make you one for FREE, as I have a spare port laying around.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
34 Posts
Aah.. Got it now.. :d

Yes.. I have the current 2 RCA (White/Red ports).

Could you send me a link/picture to that surface mount USB socket in PM ??

and Thank you very much for your kindness.. But no you need not to make anything for me :)

btw, how is the command stalk (Steering Wheel Control) with the new system ? Is it working perfectly ?
and what about the headunit lighting ? Does it light up with the car headlights?

Thank you again Sir, Ahmed.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
btw, how is the command stalk (Steering Wheel Control) with the new system ? Is it working perfectly ?
and what about the headunit lighting ? Does it light up with the car headlights?
Below is a pic of a panel mount USB socket. I would personally mount it from behind and dremel out a nice rectangular hole in the face to get a good clean look.
The maplin product code is N57FL

Regarding the steering wheel control, yes it works perfectly fine. You can scroll through songs with the controls, increase volume and do everything you usually can with the stalk. And yes the unit is linked with lights, so it lights up when lights are on. It also has the fucntion to change the backlight colour on the LEDs for the buttons. So at a press of a button you can have the buttons, green, white or blue. Which is very nice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After seeing your mods
And a few reviews on the head unit

Iv purchased it and it's coming within a week
So I wanted to change the RCA to a USB
But I have no clue how to build it went to maplins and they didn't have any in stock :(
And I want a nice finish to the USB holder and don't
Want holes from the RCA any ideas??

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi there

I dnt suppose you can help with the sat nav software for in car DVD . We need it on a micro sd its currently running on wince 6.0

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi there

I dnt suppose you can help with the sat nav software for in car DVD . We need it on a micro sd its currently running on wince 6.0
i've pm'ed you details mate. just to clarify that all these sellers that sell these aftermarket wince kits dont usually provide the satnav software, this is something you have to get seperately.

·
Administrator
17,107 Posts
I also liked to upgrade my OEM Sound System to this Chinese aftermarket one, however; I am afraid of its unreliability..
TBH, around 90% of electronics are produced in China, so I doubt if there is an issue in this regard.

·
Registered
34 Posts
TBH, around 90% of electronics are produced in China, so I doubt if there is an issue in this regard.
Yea I know, but products made in China do have a large range of quality control. Apple components are made in China, but they are quality restricted. Any way, Do you still recommend purchasing it or not ?

I am still saving money, so either this upgrade or an Alloy wheel upgrade.

Hi,

what is about the outside temperature?
I didn't think about that at all..
Ahmed, Do you have any clue if this feature is supported with the system or will it be lost ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ahmed, please if you don't mind/have free time. Could you capture some pics for the:

1.Extended auxiliary RCA video & audio input to a surface mounted plate in the glovebox.
2.Extended iPod Connector to the glovebox.
3.GPS Antenna location.
4.Rear Reverse Camera location.

and how did you install iGo Primo on the WinCE 6.0 (could be sent via PM like you did with the member above)

Thanks in advance. I hope I am not bothering you. :confused:

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ahmed, Do you have any clue if this feature is supported with the system or will it be lost ?
I'm afraid that feature gets lost with this system. But i rarely depend on that feature so not a big deal for me :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts