Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahhh! Getting really frustrated looking for*Coilovers*for my 2010 Megane Estate. Iv found several reasonably priced kits for the Standard Hatch but the suppliers have all informed me that these wont fit the estate, and are unable to point me in the right direction. I've done google search after google search!

Can anybody help find me*coilovers? Im already on 30mm PI Lowering springs so if i cant find*Coilovers*my alternative is to chop the springs? which iv heard mixed opinions on.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a megane 2 estate and i run the hatch coilovers. I cant see why the hatch wont fit the estate as id have thought suspension pick up points will be the same.

It may be that the springs are slightly softer but it just means you dont need the adjusters as low!!!

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
On extatic version :) I dunno.

I do remember looking for coilovers on mine and I could only find one supplier for like 700 :(.
Meg II ones were more common.
Things may have improved now.
Try the "carnoisseur" online catalogue.

PI springs are cheaper :)

I got 15mm front,25mm rear for my coupe.
Since the coupe has 12 mm lower springs as standard compared to 5 door models:
It could be that my springs are the same as the 30mm front,40 mm rear that PI also were advertising for non coupe models ! ;)

Either theres another height difference on eztate(sports tourer ?) or it has higher load rated springs as standard and coilover makers havent bothered yet making higher load rating versions?

I wouldnt go spring chopping! The original springs and the PI springs should be progressive.
soft ends and a hard middle. The PI's cos theyre shorter will have these areas reduced .like not quite as soft ends and slightly harder middle.
cutting ,unless you do both ends the same amount would be like hard end,soft top.
Get the 40 mm pi rears if you must,I wouldnt go any lower than 15 front on the coupe /30 front on other (non GT line) models cos there is so little travel left.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah i have 30mm PI's fitted at the moment. Iv also put 19" Alloys on the close up the arches and the front is pretty spot on (Not fussed about altering front as it already rubs the tyre slightly when at full lock) but theres loadsa play space at the rear still.

Before resorting to spring chopping im investigating the possibility of getting some custom rear springs made.. Know anywhere reputable for that?

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
Got any pics?

Theres a few around of mine with 20" wheels (now for sale :) ) but its not so much the size,tho 20" is the largest you can go with the tyres available.
I tested mine with sandbags :) and lots of other measuring before changing.
Without going into all the detail about widths offset etc ,and you say you have 30 mm all round at present?

1.I checked before buying with PI about what sort of variation I could get .As it turned out the "drop " I got after settling came to around 17mm front and 27mm rear.
(The original springs were allready 12 mm lower than yours all round)

Thats pretty close to 30 mm front and If i had standard recommended 30 profile for 20 in wheels,there would be no danger of fouling,cos they dont now with 35 on.

Anyway back to yours: Im pretty sure there was a 30 mm front,40 mm rear fitment for mine in addition to the 15/25.I dont remember a 30 30 ,but there may have been.

The point Im eventually getting to is:
15/25 or 30/40 in the case of a 5 door looks just about right to me.
Anything more than a 1 cm drop difference between front and back would start to look odd.
As it is 1 cm diff removes the hiass appearance without making it look like theres a real heavy load in the back,even if theres nothing in it.
It retains a slight pounce stance even when unladen.

Lets say(imo) you want an extra 1cm at the rear..best /easiest option would be to get 30 front 40 rear .(see if they have them)
If they do as Im fairly sure they had 2 years ago,you might have to buy a full set of 30/40 or maybe theyd do the rears only for slightly reduced price.
Rears are comparatively easy to fit as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, Thanks. I'll have a look around for some 40mm rear springs. Have emailed the guy i got my 30's off and also another site. Hopefully something will come of that! Cheers for the advice.

Does anybody know of a place to get custom springs made if it comes to that? Preferably a place thats been used by someone you know with positive results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts