Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have a Megane MK1 Coupe 2.0 IDE. Bought the car with broken F5R engine (dropped vlaves on 1 piston and broke the piston. My original intention was to swap in an F4rt. I have 2 complete f4rt sub assemblies, F4rt head, manifolds etc etc.
I am at a point now where I have built a rotating assembly (not running) using the F5R block, with F4rt crank, pistons and rods, as well as head and manifolds. There is of course a lot of other stuff that is happening as well with manifolds injectors etc.but i test fit everything to make sure it can work.

For those who might ask why not just swap in an F4rt, it is easier to build the f4rt parts into the f5r since its basically the same block, the waterpump and the gearbox mounting is basically the biggest difference. Otherwise I would have to use the ND0 box with the f4rt which has different side shafts and is hydraulic clutch. so I am keeping the JC5 for now, doing the casing mod to the jc5 to increase the casing strength where it usually breaks.

I would like to know if anyone else has attempted this or has experience in this kind of "swap".

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Sounds like an epic waste of time and money on a car that has nothing special about it, good luck though, will be interesting to see how it goes

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,190 Posts
Where's your spirit of adventure Mikey ?

I must admit that this sort of major work seems strange when it is still possible to go and buy a similar car and save the hassle.
But it is efforts like this that keep future classics on the road.
And I refuse to criticise anyone for getting stuck in, I swapped enough engines/heads/gearboxes et al on no hopers in my younger days.
Admittedly, was easier to get an engine that would fit into a Tina (any scrapyard) and less then a day for a complete swap..... rinse and repeat when that one blew up....

Would be good to see some photos ... may help someone else in the future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. You're responses are in typical Renault owners spirit thus has been an entire waste of my time. If I wanted opinions I would have posted in the general chat.

I really don't have to explain my decisions and reasons for doing what I am.

If you don't respect the choices and build of someone you're welcome to keep your response to yourself. If you have technical ability and value to add then please post.

Otherwise stfu.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

·
24,190 Posts
Play nice Force_FeedR
Especially when I have already rebuked (nicely) another member for a critical opinion.

With this sort of query, you may get someone who has done similar and may be able to offer something.
Or we can all learn from you.
And will be interested in doing so.
Your choice.

Am I right in assuming that the rather tasty yellow Meg is the car in question?
If so, it answers all questions about why.

·
Sexy at 71 super mod..
25,351 Posts
Play nice Force_FeedR
Especially when I have already rebuked (nicely) another member for a critical opinion.

With this sort of query, you may get someone who has done similar and may be able to offer something.
Or we can all learn from you.
And will be interested in doing so.
Your choice.

Am I right in assuming that the rather tasty yellow Meg is the car in question?
If so, it answers all questions about why.
I'm thinking that he might be better off if he joined..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Dancingdad duly noted. Yes the yellow MK1 is the car in question. Its not that same car as the one from the magazine but they are the only 2 that have that body kit by ACD. The car I own was built as a result of the car in the magazine. Unfortunately it has been standing for about 5 years.

I am in the process of fully restoring this beauty. I've owned numerous Reno's but the mk1 has always had a special place in my heart mostly because of the maxi Mégane. But I can't ruin this car by doing that to her already beautiful body kit. So I might have to get another one

I thought this would be the best platform to get some info on such a build as the mk1 didn't have an rs version therefore I'm not sure an rs forum would really add value.

I've only found one f4rt swop into a mk1 when doing my research but there are no details of how it was done.

I did find pictures of it with the engine in though.

Details on motor I am building
F5r block
F4rt crank
Pec 83mm Pistons
Forged rods
F4rt head with stock valves and cams - might change
Siemens 875cc injectors
Custom intake mani
Custom exhaust mani
Ktec f4rt Billet fuel rail
Gt3076
Spitronics management with flexfuel sensor
Cutout exhaust mod with shortpipe and full exhaust

My aim is to daily around 350hp but looking to get around 650hp on race map

·
24,190 Posts
Jays Us.... you ain't messing about.

I can see where you are coming from with things like injectors (higher capacity fuel pump?) and custom, I assume free flow inlets/exhaust.
But will you not still be throttling the potential with standard valves/cam ??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I will be keeping the oem f4rt redline. This will reduce stress on the valves. From what I know they are 2piece valves and the stem is friction welded onto the face. This can be a weak point when going above stock rpms.

I have been looking at replacement valves from supertech.

The cams I am not too concerned about at this time as catcams lift and duration is very similar to the oem cams and won't justify the cost. I have 2 sets of f4rt cams so if need be I can always send one set for some engineering.

Fuel pump and all those accessories will also be upgraded. The nice thing with the f5r is that the direct injection already has a return fuel line in the car to the tank. So none of the problems like the meg 225 fueling issues etc.

She has already been named very appropriately as well, "custard surprise"

My main concerns are around the jc5 gearbox and the timing belt as the idlers and tensioner positions slightly differ between the f5r and f4r and the f5r head is taller. I am yet to get a f4r timing belt to check if all will align.

Also not sure if the jc5 clutch will take the power. But will get a clutch made up that can handle it.

So yes there is a lot of technical stuff that is being sorted out as I progress.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts