Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi hope someone can shed some light please how easy/difficult is to change the cambelt on a 1.5 dci 05 plate . I understand you need the timing pins and also need to replace the water pump at the same time just looking for any pit falls or any walk through on how to do said job thanks

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
2,079 Posts
A few of us have done it, on various vehicles. It's a major job that has to be done perfectly first time, on pain of great expensiveness. If you're OK taking on big mechanical jobs by all means have a go and the forum will hold your hand, as it did mine, but don't underestimate it. If I had everything to hand (and you will find out partway through that you need just the tool you don't have) I'd expect it to take a very long day, or even two.
As to particular bear traps on your car, I'm sure others will drop by and comment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few of us have done it, on various vehicles. It's a major job that has to be done perfectly first time, on pain of great expensiveness. If you're OK taking on big mechanical jobs by all means have a go and the forum will hold your hand, as it did mine, but don't underestimate it. If I had everything to hand (and you will find out partway through that you need just the tool you don't have) I'd expect it to take a very long day, or even two.
As to particular bear traps on your car, I'm sure others will drop by and comment.
Thanks space cadet I've no problem taking on big jobs or how long having worked on my landrover the megane belongs to my wife thought belt must be due a change again garage did it last time thought why not have ago myself with guidance or would be best left to a garage thanks ?

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
2,079 Posts
Then fill your boots. But unlike the landy you won't be able to do it all with a kitchen knife and a tin opener!
I'm sure you'll get some more suggestions later- although I've done two I wouldn't presume to offer specific advice. There are many far better qualified here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then fill your boots. But unlike the landy you won't be able to do it all with a kitchen knife and a tin opener!
I'm sure you'll get some more suggestions later- although I've done two I wouldn't presume to offer specific advice. There are many far better qualified here.
Thanks for your advise ?

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
2,079 Posts
Get the timing kit, if any, and get the Haynes book if you don't have it. The crankshaft pulley bolt is as tight as hell. so be ready for that.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
If you purchase a Gates timing kit it comes with the belt, tensioner pully, new crank bolt, water pump and the instructions to carry out the task in hand. (y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts