Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Megane Mk2 2.0 Petrol 2007
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems to be a great forum with a lot of collected knowledge!
So I've decided to post this here.
It all started with my left headlight bulb (thats the drivers side here in Sweden) going out.
First, when turning on the left indicators, it blinks like before. But if I brake at the same time the indicator goes into x2 speed. Turning on the right indicators and braking worked as normal.
Second, when cruise control is active and any indicator is turned on, the cruise control cancels, and I have to press the R on the steering wheel for it to pick up again.

Now! I changed the lightbulb (I would really like to have a talk with that designer btw...). The left indicator lights going at x2 speed went away after a mile or so.
But the cruise control problem is still there :\

Anyone have any ideas where to start with this one?

·
Registered
2006 Kangoo 1.5DciType XC1G K9K 718/JR5 145 or 116
149 Posts
Hi

Welcome aboard!

I don't have a Megane (used to have a 2007 Grand Scenic though).

In my limited experience, a poor earth could be responsible.

Check the negative terminal of the battery and where that negative cable connects to the Chassis and/or engine block. Before you disconnect the negative, be sure you have the radio code. Not sure if there any other risks with disconnecting the battery (immobiliser etc). Cleaning up the earth connection to the body and battery may help.

Check that there is no wetness in the foot wells. As i understand it, the ECU that controls the indicators/wipers/cruise etc (officially called the BCU Body Control Unit or UCH as the French call it) is located under the dashboard (drivers side for a left hand drive car) and can be affected by water leaks, so checking the foot well may reveal this as a possibility. I think the instrument cluster would need to be removed to access the BCU on your car.

The BCU can be a source of issues due to corroded connectors or issues on the BCU itself.

There is likely to be a big earth terminal in one or both of the passenger foot wells on the "wall" of the foot well, behind the kick panels.

Other more experienced members may be able to give more though advice.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2006 Kangoo 1.5DciType XC1G K9K 718/JR5 145 or 116
149 Posts
This seems to be a great forum with a lot of collected knowledge!
So I've decided to post this here.
It all started with my left headlight bulb (thats the drivers side here in Sweden) going out.
First, when turning on the left indicators, it blinks like before. But if I brake at the same time the indicator goes into x2 speed. Turning on the right indicators and braking worked as normal.
Second, when cruise control is active and any indicator is turned on, the cruise control cancels, and I have to press the R on the steering wheel for it to pick up again.

Now! I changed the lightbulb (I would really like to have a talk with that designer btw...). The left indicator lights going at x2 speed went away after a mile or so.
But the cruise control problem is still there :\

Anyone have any ideas where to start with this one?
Hi

Go to your profile and add you vehicle type (Model/Engine type/Year etc) so that future posts will allow members to see what car is being discussed and make replies tailored to the vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, I will take a look at those!
And add my vehicle.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
42,293 Posts
What side is not working correctly, Now using this info, go to the back of the car, take that side Bulb Light Cluster out.
Remove the plug that goes to this cluster
Look at the inside of the cluster, where the plug fits on, you will see its either gone black, or melted, clean it up with a bit of wet and dry.
Look inside the plug, clean that connector up, spray some penetrating oil, give it a bit of a shake, and refit
Cruise Control is automatically switched off if the ECU registers a fault its not happy with ..( ON ALL MAKES/MODELS of car )

Reactions: JockeSwe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just thought I would follow this one up, now when the problem is fixed for search reference.
The suggestions above are correct.
Removed the plugs on the back of the car to get the light bulb cluster out, both left and right.
Cleaned and fixed connectors. Now the right side worked as it should, but left side could sometimes act up.
Removed it again to bend the pins in the connector to get a better connection. Still acts up, but not as often.
And today I got fed up with it and cut the connector and soldered the damn wires into the pins in the cluster.
Now the left side works great as well :)

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
42,293 Posts
Can we say its fixed then, OR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts