Independent Renault Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok update time. Changed spark plugs and coil packs, started instantly. There is always a but!
Car is occasionally struggling to start. It does start before the end of the start button run, but kicks off at very low revs before slowly picking up. Car is driving a bit lumpy and is struggling a bit uphill. I know it's a 1.6 but it used to be fine. It has also thrown up a couple of fault codes, P0137 and P0341. I know that they are sensors but in the back of my mind I'm thinking if all this is linked to timing? The struggling to start, lumpiness however still averaging 40mpg.
What does anyone else think. Should I get the timing checked to rule it out rather than continue down the changing of sensors route?

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Changed spark plugs and coils for new units a second time in a few weeks? :unsure:

P0341 is camshaft sensor value ............ it could be as a result of my earlier suggestion of starting vehicle with dephaser solenoid plug removed .........

I would say you have to be methodical now that you have a starting car again.

.......................and since you have probably run the battery flat a few times

First - using a good quality Renault speaking scanner - clear all codes everywhere in all computers and then lets try again and report on any codes still appearing

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Have only changed plugs and coils the once. Cleared all faults with my basic scanner. It's starting but feels/sounds like not enough fuel is getting to the engine, whether that is due to the pump or timing (my guess). When it does start it takes about 3 seconds to increase in revs to 2000. Runs rough for a few more and then is fine. It's the same whether the cat is hot or cold. Also turns over fine. Going to get it in the garage for them to see if they can get to the bottom of the issue.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
So 12 days ago you said

Ok. So swapped out the coolant sensor. Coolant went everywhere! But working. Have replaced the spark plugs (1 was covered in oil from overspill when filling) and coil packs and it started straight away. Only issue was a big plume of white smoke coming from the rear (I was sitting in the drivers seat so guessing from the exhaust). I turned the motor off in case something wasn't right. What could have caused this? It didn't smell like burning oil, in fact wasn't smelly really. Could this have built up from sitting there for the last 10 days or could it be linked to the coolant spillage?
............... and 2 days ago you said

Ok update time. Changed spark plugs and coil packs, started instantly. There is always a but!

..................... So what ............... you have not been around and are just repeating what you said before then and in fact nothing changed?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
No, not at all. It was just half term at school, boys off so we went away in the Mrs' car. I then gave an update when I returned.
As I mentioned early on, I'm not a mechanic and if it was possibly something that I could do myself then I would, help save some pennies or rather pounds when it comes to garages. The only real difference since changing said coils and plugs is that it starts, just not very well - a sticking plaster when stitches are required!

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,514 Posts
Okay, clearer now.
Usually poor starting comes down to simples.
Plugs/coils...changed and an improvement (better spark) but not sorted.
TDC sensor, could be dirty and giving mucked up signals.... if car is running okay after initial start problems unlikely.
Throttle Body dirty.
Clogged air filter
Then
Coolant temp sensor... usually cold start or hot running issues but not both.
MAP sensor
Injector fault
Compression
Timing

If the motor runs okay after it has mucked around on starting, doubt the last two.
MAP will give start issues but usually running issues as well.
Petrol injectors don't normally give a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Agree with @Dancingdad ................. but given the posted history and things tried already I would simply call halt to the process and get a proper Renault speaking scanner to report on what it can find in an organized fashion...................

Else you may still be busy spending money on things to try next year

Personally - I still suspect the dephaser system ...........

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,078 Posts
Checked enough oil in the engine?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts