Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a GT220 2015 Megane that over tthe past year the aircon stopped working. It spent a couple of months with a hissing/bubbling sound coming from the back of the dash when it was in use, then stopped.
A regas and leak test at Kwikfit this June saw it working OK for a couple of months then it started hissing again and today is barely cooling the air.

Any advice on hwere to look or what the problem might be as I don't want to pay for another regas yet. Guess their leak test wasn't good enough to pick up a slow leak but I expected it to last longer than 3 months.

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
4,197 Posts
A leak over three months is quite a slow leak - not one I would expect the Kwikfit cowboys to find. Don't re-gas until it is sorted. You will be wasting your cash as well as polluting the environment.

A competent a/c technician should be able to find the leak for you - probably the condenser or a loose joint. Twelve months without the a/c working means you need this expertise as he will need to not only find and fix the leak, but remove any air and moisture from the system then fill to the correct pressures with refrigerant making sure that the system has the correct amount of lubricant as well. Kwikfit and Halfords have their place in motoring society, but this is not it.

The noise behind the dash is probably just the expansion valve and evaporator struggling with the last of the refrigerant. The car will turn off the a/c itself when pressures drop.

Reactions: dave_mezza2006

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
4,197 Posts
... and when it is working again there is nothing wrong with leaving it on all the time. It will use two or three kW but cool you in summer and take out the moisture in winter. More importantly it keeps all compressor seals lubricated and pressure tight. I have been driving airconditioned cars since the mid eighties and the only times I have had to make repairs have been on second hand purchased cars where the earlier owners have had them turned off for one reason or another.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... and when it is working again there is nothing wrong with leaving it on all the time. It will use two or three kW but cool you in summer and take out the moisture in winter. More importantly it keeps all compressor seals lubricated and pressure tight. I have been driving airconditioned cars since the mid eighties and the only times I have had to make repairs have been on second hand purchased cars where the earlier owners have had them turned off for one reason or another.
Thanks for the quick reply. I have thought that might be the case. The only trouble with aircon I have ever had was with a Porsche of all things. My previous Golfs, Passat and Seats all blew freezing cold and never needed topping up. I always keep ity running and thats why.

I reckon the noise was something like that as it shut off a few days later, presumably to protect itself.

Now I just need to find somone to check it over and repair it here in Cheshire if anyone here knows a mobile guy. I guess taking it to dealer in Stockport would be very expensive and probably not the best service.

Kwikfit at least have offered a refund.

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts