Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, just found this place looking for some help hope someone can help out.

Got a Renault Megane 2002 - 1600cc Petrol

Story is, used my car on Monday night no problem - Tuesday morning when to start it and nothing just a faint clicking and the lights on dash come on when turning key to 1st click then when turn round to start the engine stop light flickers.

All lights are dead and central locking not working and radio dead. I thought battery problem so bought a charger but when connected the battery to it the green 'ready' light immediately came on but instructions said this should only come on when fully charged.

Reconnected to car but still nothing.

Sorry this may be very simple but my car skills are crap - could the battery be naff even though it says 'ready' when connected to charger or could i be looking at something more

Would get mechanic straight in but not flushed for cash at moment so want to eliminate easy things i could be missing

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi guys cheers for replys - ok really newbie question coming up, the earth leads and starter motor are they easy to find to check them out? also just wierd that the night before it stopped working it was fine didnt have a problem with it. The car was in a car park for 3 days while i was away and when i cam back it started first time no probs - drove home and next morning nothing.

will be honest have never really looked under the bonnet of a car, had this car for 4 years and always been fine and cars before i used to have the cash to just call a mechanic if any problems.

gonna try to get a manual on the car tomorrow night as am lost without my car only recently moved so am not near family or friends...lost a bit of my life with no car.

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Not too sure on the meg, but I had a similar prob on the Clio. My starter is behind / below the engine (good design) and I had to go by feel, but a push on connector felt loose. I pushed it and car has been fine since. As for the earth straps, one from the battery -ve terminal to the body, there are often a couple more from the engine to the body, often look like flat braided wire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey appreciate your help here - could that cause no power at all to car even when key not in ignition - tried the lights and that but nothing they dont even come on at all

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
to be honest mate i dont know it could be the original as it has renault symbol on it - i got the car 1 1/2 years old and never changed it yet - also it has done some mileage (over 80k) as guys before me used it for work and i have driven alot - spain and back again couple of times. its a great car and know i shouldnt moan at it but when its just sitting there i feel lost......sad life i lead lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cheers mate - just had a look and cant find anyone like that near me - nearest quick fit is 4 miles away as see that they do tests.

thinking about taking the plunge and buying a new battery tomorrow night

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good news, picked up a new battery this morning and car works fine now - guess the other one had just had enough.
appreciate your time mate helping out

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
:) Glad you got it sorted Smudge, batteries are funny things, we had the same thing we drove for 40 mins to the seaside parked up and then realised it was residential area so had to move, but it would not start again and alarm was going off, AA came jumped us off, we drove home 40 mins again, turned off but wouldnt start again, had to go out and get a new battery then everything was good again. How much was battery £30-40 ish?

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
I had the same with my megane, had to change the battery about 3 months ago (£40ish) and had done about 75k miles.

Small price to pay for a bit more trouble free motoring :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts