Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those RenaultSport Megane 250 owners that have the stock OEM LED lights. As you probably already know, the OEM setup at present makes them go off when headlights come on. Renault have changed this on the new Megane RS265 and allowed them to stay on with headlights but at a dimmer output like other car manufacturers. I've had a few requests on the MeganeSport.net forum about creating a mod to allow this for the exisiting RS250's. So by popular demand, i've drawn up a diagram for a custom wiring loom that can be built to allow this feature.

I've attached the diagram below. This setup, will allow the LED DRL's to stay on when headlights/sidelights are on and they will be much dimmer at night so that no one breaks the law

Any questions, please ask will be glad to help.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The specifications look perfectly fine, they work as a simple switching device and allow for the current to be adjusted via the remote. In other words its basically a variable LED driver. The one you linked to has a good current load rating of up to 8A max. Only concern would be how well the circuit is built and if it has failsafe built in to prevent draining battery if something was to go wrong. But i would think a system like that would have a failsafe in place

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
***Update***

Here are details and pics of a plug & play kit I made for MeganeSport.net User "250RS":

By law the LED units must operate at a reduced intensity if they are going to be on with the headlights. To achieve this, my solution involves making 2 custom LED Power Supplys. LED's are current driven and the intensity is determined by the amount of current being driven to the LED units. The OEM LED unit is rated at 6.5W. So you need to aim to drive the LED's at least 50% less. The custom power supplys I have built for this kit will allow the LED's to run at 3W. This way the LED's look much more pleasant to the eye at night without dazzling oncoming traffic & breaking the law.

Ofcourse there is the much simpler way to just wire the OEM LED Power Supply units directly to the sidelights instead of having them powered via the DRL circuit. Although this will work, I wouldnt really recommend it. The downsides to doing this is that your DRL circuit will no longer function, and you will always have to have sidelights or headlights on to have the DRL's on. Also you will have the issue with the law and LED intensity.

As mentioned above, the kit pictured in this guide was built for MeganeSport.net User "250RS". I am providing details of how the kit works and how to build it yourself. I've made the kit as much plug & play as possible by incorporating OEM style push-fit connectors. Everything is Plug & Play with the exception of having to tap into the sidelight circuit.

The way the kit works is as follows:
If no lights are turned on, then the OEM power supply powers up the LED's as regular DRL's. But as soon as the sidelights turn on, the power is switched and driven by the secondary custom LED power supply. There are inline signal diodes in the connectors as a fail-safe to keep both circuits seperate.

For those who have an RS without the LED DRL option and are thinking of fitting the LED's, you can save yourself alot of money by making your own custom power supplys like these to power them. All you will need is the LED's themselves which you can pick up for between £280 and £380 depending on what kind of discount your parts department is willing to give you. I got 35% discount on mine.

Here are the pics and diagrams of the kit.

Overview of the Kit

Circuit Diagram for Each LED Driver

Weatherproof Project Boxes to house Power Supplys - (drilled for grommets)

Grommets Installed

Prototyping Board

Prototyping Board Cut and Fuse Block Soldered

Conduit

Regulator Built on Board

Completed LED Power Supply

OEM Style Superseal Connectors

Signal Diode Soldered inline and covered with heat shrink tube

1st LED Driver with output wire

Both LED Drivers

LED Driver with Signal Diode Soldered inline to the output

Completed Kit

Cover for the LED Driver with rubber seal

Complete with LED Driver Cover

Complete Kit for User "250RS"

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
I must admit Id never checked your circuit diagram /setup before.

I just went for the 2x120led 382 bulbs wired directly into the sidelight circuit after you pointed out the pwm circuit for drls(filament ones)

Coincidentally,today I replaced the 120led bulbs with some 102 smd led bulbs I had been using before on the original drl circuit.

I just wanted to see which bulbs were still viable.
the 102's had like 10 dead led's per bulb.

I connected them up(with 8 smd W5W 20p bulbs) in each side.

All good rotated them so the missing led's were on the underside.
When I turned the lights on again this evening the 102 led bulbs had like 5 led's still viable on the offside bulb! n thas all.
The ns bulb was dead.
There was a confetti of yellow smds from the bulbs inside the headlamp unit.

This isnt a big worry and my 120 led bulbs are safely wrapped up.

Im now using some 24 led bulbs in the drl/sidelight circuit.
Any idea on what caiused the catostrophic failure on the .102 led bulbs?
Is it because they had lost led's already when wired direct on the renault circuit?

Should I just throw out any of my old led bulbs that had been on the original renault drl circuit?.

I do have the 120 led bulbs which were working fine.Quoted power consumption on those was 4 w apiece.

I have 2x 63 non smd bulbs.. some led's gone.4x24 led bulbs no leds gone yet..

Like if one led goes in a bulb , is the bulb fooked.
The remaining led's get increased current and so begin to fail exponentially?

Just wondering cos I have 3-4 sets of bulbs with a few blown leds.
Throw em in the bin>?

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Coup, yes thats practically how those multi-smd led bulbs work, as soon as one starts blowing the lifespan for the rest are shortened because they are no longer within the designed working parameters. They are so cheap that they do not have any failsafe from that

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
*** Quick Update ***

The kit that I built for MeganeSport.net user "250RS", has been successfully installed by him. He has taken install pics of the kit and has given me permission to post his photos elsewhere. So here are the photos of the Kit installed on a Megane RenaultSport 250:

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
looks very pro.
:toast:

The only thing id suggest is led sidelight bulbs for K matching,they at least seem to last even the cheap ones :)
There are also some v expensive (compared to 20p) w5w fitting hi output led bulbs on ebay, how good they are ,no idea.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello ahmed24, I know it is old message, but I would like to know the components of the circuit of the power supply since I want to build it, if possible a list with the components and a later photo of the circuit, thank you very much for your help thanks ...

·
Super Moderator
13,661 Posts
Hello ahmed24, I know it is old message, but I would like to know the components of the circuit of the power supply since I want to build it, if possible a list with the components and a later photo of the circuit, thank you very much for your help thanks ...
It's a long shot, he's not logged in lately.
Last Activity: 2nd April 2013

·
Super Moderator
13,661 Posts

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,881 Posts
If they are still on photobucket and public
you may be able to find them on there,
there was a patch that allows you still
to see these images but I seem to have
lost it or it no longer works.