Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to you all. I have a scenic that has a severe lack of power, plus the glow plug light and the "heartbeat" light were both on. I have read the fault codes and they came up as 1) egr valve 2) air flow and 3) glow plugs circuit. I removed the egr valve and gave it a right good seeing too!! ooh err... I have re-fitted it and the engine revs better but still has a very very poor take off speed. Its almost dangerous.. I re-read the codes after a full clear down and roadtest, and found that both the egr and air flow codes had gone, but I am still left with the glow plugs code. I wondered if there was any sort of ECU reset procedure that I should go through? There is a little smoke when reving and if you put your foot to the floor the revs will go to 3000 easily and then it will stay there for a couple of seconds and then progress up to 4000. Thats about as high as I can get it. Any help would be very welcome.
Best Regards
Steve.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Mill - the glowplug light will also show if the fuel filter has water of a faulty connection - may be worth checking that out first.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mad and thanks for the reply. I will have a look but I am not holding my breath. I drove the car home last night (half a mile) and it was still struggling to move. However, when I got in it this morning it was virtualy unmovable. I caused quite a small convoy and there were a couple of very rude jestures aimed in my general direction. I am going to also look at the maf today. Is it possible to just unplug the maf for a little drive or would that do damage?
Regards
Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a quick note to say that I think I have found the problem. I read yesterday that a chap on this very forum had stripped out his EGR and had posted a very accurate text on what to do and how to do it. Something was wizzing around in my head last night about something he said in the post. That was that there were 2 discs on the main EGR shaft. I could only remember seeing 1!!!! I have just stripped the valve out again and guess what... It only has 1. The other top disc was laying inside the inlet manifold having broken off. I am getting a new EGR this morning hopefully and will post my findings later.
Regards
Steve

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Well at least you found one problem - hope it cures the problem - how is the disc held on to the EGR - just check in case there is any other bits (nuts, washgers, etc., lying inside. Keep us posted.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all. I just wanted to let you all know about the scenic I had in last week with the severe lack of power. I did manage to rectify the fault by changing the EGR valve. The valve stem has 2 discs on the shaft and it was the top one that was missing. Closer inspection of the inlet manifold (basically looking into hole where EGR is fitted) revealed the top disc just lying there. Lucky it never found its way into the engine.. The disc is just a push fit over the shaft as far as I could see. I did try to weld it back onto the shaft but the disc is not weldable (though the shaft is) Anyway, One happy tech and one happy customer. Keep up all the great work you lot, I would be a lot harder getting through the day if there were no other like minded souls out there struggling like I seem to do.
Regards
Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
just a question about the EGR valve did it cause problems with running in general or just up hill? could you advise me on where its located?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Lack of power

Hi I have a 19DCI lagauna I took it to renault and they told me it was the EGR valve. So I had it replaced but the car was still flat, then they told me th ecu had to be reset to see if the fault ws still there. We it got reset and the fault is still there. Now I have been told that it could be the intercooler it may have a leek.:steam: Then I got told it could be the turbo for me to put it in to renault it is going to cost £80 per hour just for them to look at it.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
A leaking intercooler can usually be detected quite easily either by listening or having a close look. A poor turbo can usually be detected either by it being noisy, leaking oil or not coming in when it should. It may be prudent to seek another opinion from a different garage:)

When you say the engine runs flat do you mean it has poor acceleration or will it not go above a certain rpm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts