Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 1.9 dci I have been having real trouble getting a good seal on the union between the cat and the exhaust (replacement cat after the original sheared away). as a result the car is pumping out exhaust gas by the passenger front door.

it's a combination of not being able to get enough torque on the bolts, I think. there is precious little space, and the longer the torque bar, the greater the angular motion needed (and the space is very limited...). I don't have a right angle rattle gun unfortunately.

is there a particular trick to this perhaps? also is there a reason why I should not some of the red gasket sealant?

thanks in advance.
justin

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,313 Posts
This with a new gasket?
These bolts only get pinch tight, then start the car, and re-tighten when engine is upto temperature..
Deffo no gasket sealant, it will block the Cat..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. Was new gasket and cat.

I just can't get into the space to tighten them up so that the surfaces mate properly.

How will the gasket material get into the cat when it is after the cat in the exhaust? Is there suction in the cycle?

Just to be clear I was thinking of gasket sealant along the edges of the union. Like caulk in a shower. Not in lieu of the steel gasket.

·
39,313 Posts
Sorry I read it wrong, yeah shove some EXHAUST paste between both surfaces...
Can you not get a spanner on it, You have removed the scuttle panel just below the wipers, and that other panel below this..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've been trying to get a spanner on it from below (on a lift) as the union does not seem accessible from above. it's also very much not a rigid union that can be tensioned against the chassis. i can get a spanner on to it from below but i'm up against the exhaust on one side and the silver crenelated heat guard on the other. there's almost no angle of rotation available to get the torque up. and annoyingly i don't have a right angle rattle gun!

·
39,313 Posts
Not come across this, but knowing me, if it is in the way I would have moved it..
So I could have even removed a subframe if I could not get in ..
Wont a ratchet go in there
But these bolts/nuts are only pinched up. the mating face is not distorted is it,

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mating face is not distorted, no.

yes can get a socket or a spanner on. but i cannot get any angular motion to turn the tool as the exhaust and heat guards are in the way. doesn't seem worth taking the car to bits to snug up some bolts. they don't seem to turn any more but exhaust gas is still escaping like mad.

·
39,313 Posts
Go for the Exhaust paste buddy..
Once you see it coming out the sides you know its working..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
didn't have any specific exhaust paste and local shops didn't have the article either. So went with cleaning and reseating the gasket with some high temp red gasket paste. fingers crossed for the 24 hour curing period and then we will see.

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it's held for the first 200kms. but I am lacking confidence in it tbh. I've found some Holst Gun Gum paste at the big auto shop and it's in the glove compartment for when the inevitable occurs.

thanks for your help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts