Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened a couple of months ago, then all of a sudden, they started working again, so we thought no more of it.

Not long after, they went again, and now they wont work at all.

Passenger window
Both sunroofs

Fail to operate.

I've checked all fuses in the dash fusebox, and all are intact. (From what I gather, these three things dont share a fuse)

I believe, from what I can gather in the Haynes manual, that they DO share a relay (the correct diagram is missing from the haynes manual).

Is it likely to be the relay?

If I put my head down to near the relay box and operate the switch to control the passenger window, I can't hear it clicking/energising (Like it should). So it's either a relay problem, or a loose connection somewhere before the relay?

Where can I buy this relay from?
I went to an Auto-Electrician and stated the problem, and that I think it's a common relay controlling all three things (2 sunroofs and a window), but he flat out refused, stating he doesnt touch sunroofs, but he'll look at the window...I thought "There's no point even trying to explain to him", so I walked away.

Any ideas would be appreciated. What with the warmer weather coming up, it's sweltering in that car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply chris.

Are you sure it sounds like the relay is operating, as I can't hear it 'energising' / 'clicking' (Yet I can if I operate the drivers window).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well. My friend (who also has a similar scenic but a slightly different model), had his sunroof fail to open, and knowing I had mine open last year when mine got stuck, came round.

I noticed after looking in his headlining that the relay for the sunroofs is above the passenger vanity mirror.

So it looks like its not the same relay that controls the passenger window and the sunroofs, it's two separate ones.

One above the passenger compartment for the sunroofs, and one in the passenger compartment relay cluster for the window.

So it seems the problem lies with the feed that feeds both of those relays.

Again, looking through Haynes and Autodata is a bit limited.

I'm tempted to find an autoelectrician and pay him to find and repair it, although I shudder to think what it will cost me (or my credit card *gulp* ).

I have noticed that with the bad earth I sorted out the other day on the rear light cluster. Someone has done a 'Jonny rig me up' on what I think mustbe the towbar electrics. Meaning that there are inline wire joiners (the sort that cut into both wires when you press it closed) in all the wiring at the back.

Looking behind the fusebox I can see that there are a couple of hand made wiring connections (secured together with insulation tape) so it could be that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im afraid I didn't.

I went to an Auto Electrician, who had a look at it, and only concluded "There's no feed coming out of the fusebox" (at the locations for the sunroofs or the passenger window).

Which I already knew...lol

Anyway, my friend hacked apart a few fuses, and got some wire and a soldering iron, an inline fuse holder, some insulation tape, and made a little 'contraption'

Basically it takes the feed from the working fuse(the drivers window), takes it through another 25a fuse, and split into three ways, one going back to the drivers window and the other two going to the passenger window and sunroofs fuses.

It works, and does the job...lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
many thanks for getting back I will have an in depth look at the weekend. If I find anything I will post it for you.

Thanks

James

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well I have traced the problem to the fuse box. It seems that the fuse for both the sunroofs and passenger elec window are fed only when the ignition relay kicks in. At a guess I would say that a part of the PCB in the fuse box has become loose (dry joint) and so the sunroofs and window are not receiving power after the ignition is turned on. Solution is either replace the fuse box or put a link across from the drivers window fuse to the sunroof and passenger window fuses. I have taken out the fuse box but it is very difficult to take apart and I don't want to damage it further trying to fix it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats exactly what I thought James.

I narrowed it down to either the part of the fusebox where the feed from the ignition goes in, or the feed itself.

Therefore I made a homemade bridge connection.

I'll take a photo in a moment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts