Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

MOT looming and I've been told that I need new "rear axle bushes" for my 1999 Megane Scenic, 1.4L 16Valve. K4j - Jaow

I had a look around online but can't find the parts.
Seems that the terminology has lost me, "bush" "bushing" "axle" "subframe" !!!!!

Is this what I need, please.

Also, has anyone an idea how many hours labour for a local mechanic to fit these?

The reason I took it to the mechanic, I had a constant knocking noise from the rear, most noticeable when going slow and had checked shocks, exhaust, exhaust rubbers, heatshield, loose stuff in the boot and wheel well etc. but found nothing amiss.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: The part I linked to is not suitable for my car :(

Can anyone point me in the right direction or is Main Dealers the only way to go?

Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another update:

The mechanic just rang to say, that he thinks it may be cheaper to fit a good second hand axle, as there is a lot of work involved in replacing the bushes!!!

I'm in meltdown here, any advice please :crazy:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Personally I would try and source a decent replacement axle,I've never had to replace these bushes before but have seen a couple of people have a go at them and the resulting hassle was never worth it.:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Lagdti, appreciate the advice.

If it passes the MOT, perhaps I should just learn to live with the knocking noise for the moment, as I currently have neither the expertise in sourcing a "good" axle, nor the funds to have it replaced.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Yep,that seems a sensible approach.I must admit,if it's the bushes I'm thinking of I have never ever seen them fail an MOT,they can be perished and cracked but rarely give any excessive movement.

Good luck with the MOT,I hope it all goes well.:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, appreciate that.
Perhaps my mechanic is wrong anyway, wouldn't be the first time I spent money "correcting" a non existent problem :d

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Failed the MOT on a couple of minor things (scuffed brake hose and worn gearbox mounting, which I was aware of)

Have the parts and have the car booked in for a retest.

They never mentioned the knocking noise at all, so I'm going to assume that it's not a serious problem.
Will get to the root of it in time, after dealing with the more urgent bits.

Will post back the cause, if I ever find it!!! :d

1 - 8 of 8 Posts