Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, tried to start it this morning, it turned over normal but didnt start, so turned the key back and tried again but then - nothing just a click??? now it doesnt do anything just a click when i try and start it, everything still works (radio, central locking etc.) but the engine wont turn over, just keep getting a click - any ideas??

many thanks

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hi,

Possibly an earting problem to your starter, Try checking all the connections give them a good shaking, the engine earth which is conected to the gearbox and car body.

Maybe your starter is on the way out, but check and clean all the connections first to eliminate them.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks very much ottoman:) however, I dont even know where the starter is etc. so I have just called out a moblie mechanic to see what he says, hopefully it wont be all just money words!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so the mechanic came and charged £30 to tell me it was the starter motor that has gone, so just rang Renault and ordered a new one for saturday morning(£117.50) and the mechanic said he would fit it for around £60. i think its a bit too good to be true - price wise, but what do you think? and do you think it is definitly the starter motor?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just tried to start it again , still wont start and same click noise, but also noticed that my clock is now 00:00 and also the radio is asking for the code again???? any ideas please?

thanks again

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Sounds like the battery has died, hence the clock resetting and the radio code. May be worth giving it a good charge or a jump start before parting with cash. (if you have the LCD dash and try a jump start put the side lights on 1st to prevent electrical spikes) If the battery is over 5 years old it may be worth replacing it, but I would try a jump 1st.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks Chris, but im sure the mechanic guy tested the battery(reading was 12.26volts? and also the meter needle on the other instrument went from red to green?) and he said no problems?? he also tried to jump start it, but again nothing and just the same click sound, i phoned him last night to ask about the clock and radio resetting and he said that was a seperate problem to the initial starter motor problem, i'll be really gutted if he replaces the starter motor and it still wont start, and it turns out to be something else after paying out etc.
another thing is it did always seem to take a long time to start the car anyway, esecially on a cold morning?

btw - he also took a hammer to the starter motor? is this for real?

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
re the hammer thing. Sometimes the starter motor can get stuck and giving it a hit with a hammer can free it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts