Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have just bought a 1999 mk1 megane scenic RT Auto 2.0.
I suspect that I may have a auto gearbox problem but as this is the 1st time I have driven an Auto and know little about renaults I would like to see what you guys think.

If I drive around accelerating slowly it seems fine but if I accelerate faster it occasionally revs high as it changes gears.
also sometimes it accelerates in 2nd gear until the revs are at around 5000 rpm then changes to 4th completely missing 3rd.

I wouldent say it is slipping , it just seems to have trouble choosing the right gears and sometimes seems to take too long changing from one gear to another.

Any suggestions ?

Cheers

Dave

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi Chris is totally right in what he is saying if you drive slowly the car will indeed changed gear quicker and at a lower rev range and if you kick the pedel down called kickdown the car will indeed drop a gear and go up the gears to the red when changing gear and in some cases miss some out and if you give it less pedel it will then changed gear for you rather than going all the way up the rev's.So there is nothing wrong all is well all the best Donald.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Chris and Donald.
Im not so worried now. :) Although when it goes from 2nd to 4th without using 3rd it still feels wrong. it stays in 2nd and revs really high then changes to 4th then crawls along because it really should be 3rd.( this is not when accelerating hard. to avoid this I have to accelerate really really slowly ) Maybe this is just a quirk of this model of box. Do you know if the gearbox is controlled by a seperate electronic controller and if this controller can be swapped for another one without being re-programmed?

Thanks again

Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
auto box

Hate to say it but sounds to me like you have a problem - if you are NOT putting your foot to the floor then the changing of the gears should be smooth - there was a lot of probs with the earlier Scenic boxes and it looks to me as if you should have it checked out by a Renault garage just for your peace of mind and whilst its still under any sort of guarantee.

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Having read the 2nd post I think there may be a problem as well. Although it may simply be the ATF (Auto Transmission Fluid) that needs changing. The gearbox should have a dedicated ECU but not sure where it will be on your car but if it were faulty you should get the auto light illuminate when driving.

If you have the radio and immobiliser / alarm codes it may be worth disconnecting the batery for 30 mins then reconnect and try again. This can reset the ECU's and sometimes improve the drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your help.
I tried disconnecting the battery but did not make it any better.
I returned it back to the dealer yesterday and they connected up the laptop for diagnostics.
It reported a problem with a RPM speed sensor.
Dont know if this would cause this sort of problem but its booked in now to be fixed.

Does anyone know where this sensor might be on a 2.0 RT auto mk1?

Thanks again to all those that replied.

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
they may be talking about the TDC sensor, located on the top of the bellhousing LH side of the engine.
I know this was last posted in 2006 but does anyone have a photo of this sensor in location. I also have to chance this sensor but the dealer in my country went out of business.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I was answering the TDC question.

The TDC sensor gives a signal when a certain part of the flywheel goes past it - I guess it could be used to give the gearbox input speed, but I would have thought it would still be called the TDC sensor and not by another name, so I have no idea whee the gearbox speed input sensor would be - aside from on the gearbox somewhere?

The post here mentions the input speed sensor as well a a trapped cable issue.

ttfn

1 - 12 of 12 Posts