Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi to all as im new here
my problem is that my timing belt snapped in oct 2009 causing around £600 pounds worth of damage to the engine
anyway got the engine repaired , new valves , TIMING BELT , etc
the timing belt snapped again today , it has done less than 10000 miles :mad:
i am just wondering if i would have any comeback with the garage who done the work or the supplier of the timing belt
thanks in advance for any replies , or any help i can get
regards Scott

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
The first question is, why did it break? It may have been badly fitted eg the crank bolt incorrectly tightened or failure may have been due to the water pump or tensioner. Possibly even just a faulty belt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first question is, why did it break? It may have been badly fitted eg the crank bolt incorrectly tightened or failure may have been due to the water pump or tensioner. Possibly even just a faulty belt.

no idea how it managed to break the car just lost power and stopped
all im wondering if i can get any comeback from the garage that did the work on it
i dont know enough about cars to comment
ive been told the belt should last more than 10000 miles
thanks Scott

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Did the garage give a warranty with the job? The cause needs to be determined before any liability can be attributed. Unfortunately the garage who did the job are the people to investigate and they may be reluctant to admit liability. There are many factors involved. Were the tensioner, water pump, auxiliary belt and it's tensioner all changed with the timing belt? Failure of any one of these may have been the cause apart from the timing belt itself or it's correct fitting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
At the garage where I work, we have had 2 timing belts snap in about a year, both from the same supplier. The supplier sent an engineer to inspect both cars, found no reason why the belt should have snapped. They covered all costs for the repairs to the engines including breakdown, recovery and car hire. We dont use that supplier anymore but the belts do come with a guarantee.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: megane Scenic timing belt

thanks to all who replied to my thread superb :d
so i may get something done with the car without shelling out a fortune
can anyone tell me what the guarantee on the timing belt is , 1 year 2 etc. ??
and when the garage done the engine rebuild should they have renewed all the parts that went with the timing belt , ie. water pump , tensioner etc .
just checked the bill i got at the time , it mentions the timing belt at £38.00 , and gaskets , valves , but no mention of pumps or tensioners
thanks Scott

·
Registered
8 Posts
If it was up the garage they probably would have fitted a new full kit, but it all depends what the the belt company authorised. In the cars I mentioned, the supplier deemed the tensioner ect.. is brand new, and only supplied a new belt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

just been told by the garage that did the work on the car
that A BRAND NEW TIMING BELT IS ONLY GUARANTEED FOR 10000 or 1 YEAR
so beware when getting a new belt fitted
the garage will not accept any liability whatsoever
was told it could have been the water pump or tensioner that caused it to fail , i thought that would have been done with the rest of the work , but it seems not , so the car will be going to the scrapheap at the beginning of the week:(
Scott

D

·
0 Posts

Trouble with it is there are tons of things that could have made the belt go, from either a new part being faulty or something like a weak oil pump, which makes it hard to put the blame on someone / something without stripping things down to see what went wrong.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I find it astonishing that they apparently didn't replace the water pump or tensioner, but unfortunately too much time has passed. I suppose at least you got 18 months usage out of your £600. It could have been so much worse.

Marv :(

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
5,254 Posts
for 600 round these parts you can get a replacement engine and get it fitted, might even get full service kit fitted as well (if you chuck the mechanic a crate of beer in with the price)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts