Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, need a little advice please.
I have a Scenic Mk1 with a 1.4L 16Valve engine.

When I accelerate, the gear stick moves backwards a bit and then returns forward when I let off the gas.

I'm thinking maybe it's caused by a worn engine mounting maybe?

Thanks.

R

·
0 Posts
It's quite a common failure it will be the mounting underneath the car that stops the engine rocking backwards and forwards. In the photo is a lower mounting on a 2.0 Scenic you can see one of the rubber bushes is showing signs of damage

R

·
0 Posts
Here is an early 2000 1.4 16V Scenic this lower engine mounting was apparently changed last year? Though I'm not sure it's a genuine Renault item? But it does it's job.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the one I currently have

Does anyone know if This will do as a replacement?

I've read somewhere that the steel ones are better quality than the original plastic ones fitted.

Can't figure out why the plastic ones are so expensive though!!

Any thoughts please?

R

·
0 Posts
There not steel they are aluminium.:) I didn’t realise the plastic one where so expensive!:eek:

I repaired the void bush on an aluminium mounting the other day with a piece of rubber hose which was a tight fit in the mounting and then I turned the old aluminium center sleeve down so that was a tight push fit into the centre of the rubber hose. Let's see how long it lasts? :)

I’ve got 2 Scenic’s I’m working on I will measure the 1.4 and the 2.0 lower mountings and see if they are interchangeable? and get back to you but it might not be until tomorrow.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're a STAR, thanks V much.

I'll contact the ebay seller and see if he'll measure the distance between the bolt holes for me.

R

·
0 Posts
The 1.4 plastic mounting fitted the 2.0 Scenic directly though I couldn't get one end of the 2.0 mounting into the 1.4 bracket on the car as it was 0.5mm wider though it could have been eased out to make it fit :d So I would say they are interchangable.

I have taken a photo of a 1999 2.0 Scenic Monaco (engine out) which has a different type lower mounting that bolts directly to the gearbox my 2001 1.4 Scenic also has the same mounting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm experiencing the same gearstick movement, which is the subject of this thread, on my scenic 2. I've had all mountings and the gear linkage itself replaced by renault, but I still have the gearstick movement occurring. Advice please??

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would I be correct in saying that I only need to support the gearbox with a trolley jack, to change the mounting?
Would I need to adjust anything afterwards (linkage perhaps)?

Anthonyb, I'm afraid I can't help you, perhaps Recycled Scenic may comment, as he seems to know his stuff big time.

Hope you get it sorted.

R

·
0 Posts
Obviously you will need to get the car off the ground with either wheel ramps or axel stands. No need to support the gear box or engine just undo the mounting / linkage and remove it. You may have to rock the engine slightly to get the holes to line up when you insert the second bolt but no great effort needed.

R

·
0 Posts
I'm experiencing the same gearstick movement, which is the subject of this thread, on my scenic 2. I've had all mountings and the gear linkage itself replaced by renault, but I still have the gearstick movement occurring. Advice please??
How much movement? it depends on the type of lower mounting you have as the ones that are twisted ( see previous photos) don't seem to hold the engine as tightly as the parallel ones.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have ordered the part, will post back re success, or lack of!

Recycled Scenic, again, thank you so much, gives me confidence to tackle something that I would otherwise entrust to a garage and pay through the nose.

Where did that saying come from anyway? :d

May need your assistance regarding replacing brake hose, failed MOT on mounting and chaffed rubber brake hose on front passenger side.
Have ordered part and should be an easy fit!!!
Or will it? :d

R

·
0 Posts
The mounting is an easy job as long as the bolts aren't seised in place :eek: cos then it might be a right b4stard of a job!

Changing the brake pipes should be okay though I would spray the joints with penetrating oil before you start and get an assistant to help with bleeding the brakes.

Good luck :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts