Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first post having just found this forum and wondering if anyone can help?

I have a 1996 Megane 1.4e and it has developed a fault. When I turn the key to start I sometimes get nothing at all, all the lights and dials are working fine. I am thinking it is a starter motor problem.

When it doesn't start I have to bump start it and then it will be ok for several days then the problem returns.

Has anyone else had this/know what the problem is?

Hoping someone knows and that it's cheap to repair!

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It may well be the starter. When it happens do you get a click click noise (starter solenoid), also does the battery light (alternator / start circuit) illuminate. If it does not there may be a fault in the circuit. I would check all connections under the hood, battery straps, earth straps, connectors to the starter and alternator. If any are loose / corroded you may get this problem as there will not be enough charge to turn the engine. When running the alternator will charge the batt giving enough charge for the next few days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum. It may well be the starter. When it happens do you get a click click noise (starter solenoid), also does the battery light (alternator / start circuit) illuminate. If it does not there may be a fault in the circuit. I would check all connections under the hood, battery straps, earth straps, connectors to the starter and alternator. If any are loose / corroded you may get this problem as there will not be enough charge to turn the engine. When running the alternator will charge the batt giving enough charge for the next few days.
When it happens I don't get a 'click noise', I turn key and get nothing at all. I can start the car sometimes drive for 2 mins switch off and then come back 5 mins later and it won't start.

Will check all connections again tomorrow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it happened again today. Managed to bump-start the car and then went to the shops, came out of the shops and it wouldn't start yet again.

Decided to call out the AA and he very lightly tapped the starter solenoid and hey presto it started.

Trip to the scrapyard for me I think. Anyone know if it's a job I can do myself, fitting a new solenoid?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts