Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm new to this. My question is this. I.ve just re-built the top-end of a 1.6i Megane. Checked and doubel checked the timing and everything is as it should be. So here goes I turn the key and way she goes,i'm thinking great. Then she stops! I look and notice that the serpintine belt is off,further investication show the crankshaft pulley as come undone. Checked the cambelt all seems good I retighten the pulley re-fit the serpintine belt, and she as done it again! Anyone have any idea why? Cheers R0sie 62

R

·
0 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Renault Forums :)

Are all the auxilliary belt pulleys free? on some of the pulleys there is an extra groove so it is possible that you didn't have the belt aligned properly?

If the crank shaft pulley has come undone doesn't sound as though the puley bolt has been done up tight enough? which might be the cause of the problem?

Is this the 8 valve engine? because if it where a 16 valve engine the timing would have been lost and you would have probably sustained valve damage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and welcome to the Renault Forums :)

Are all the auxilliary belt pulleys free? on some of the pulleys there is an extra groove so it is possible that you didn't have the belt aligned properly?

If the crank shaft pulley has come undone doesn't sound as though the puley bolt has been done up tight enough? which might be the cause of the problem?

Is this the 8 valve engine? because if it where a 16 valve engine the timing would have been lost and you would have probably sustained valve damage.
Hi ya I checked the pulleys,because I thought that,everything is as should be. Withe Re: CSP I tighten to 40NM and tried to tighten until 145 degrees, but doing this on the ground is rather difficult. It is the 16v. Why would the timing of been lost as the pulley on the CS as no setting pin or keyway, it is just bolted on.Cheers Kevin.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Hi.

If the crankshaft pulley has come loose with the engine running, then the timing will have been lost - resulting in valves hitting pistons :crying:

You are correct that the CS pulley is not keyed, but then neither is the timing belt sprocket behind it - it is retained solely by the clamping action of the pulley. This is why it is vital to degrease the pulley and sprocket contact areas - and why correct bolt tightening is essential.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Ya
Sorry for the delay in saying Thank-You.
I have striped it down again and 4 EX and 2IN, so true to your discription.
I've degreased but not happy with the condition of the rear of CSP it seems rough. Any Ideas?
Cheers Kevin

R

·
0 Posts
You mean it looks like the side of the timing belt teeth have rubbed an impression in the back of the pulley? If it is I would say that’s normal wear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is that aspect which looks mirrored. It's more the orivice that doesn't look right, it maybe were it as spun out.
Once again thanks
Kevin

R

·
0 Posts
Can you stick a photo up?

If you down load vBulletinImg in Fun stuff on the left hand side of the screen you can upload your photos to the forum

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Hi Kevin, sorry to hear it all needed doing again :mad:

Can you post any photos of the pulley? It's only the bit which contacts the timing sprocket which is important.

I assume you've been using the correct timing tools to set the crank and cam positions? On the 1.6 litre engine, the (screw-in) crankshaft setting pin can also be used to restrain the crank during both the torquing and the final angle-tightening. A well-fitting 6-sided socket, a long extension and long breaker bar will be best for angle-tighteneng the crank pulley bolt - working through the RH wheel arch. Although 'technically' the bolt can be re-used if shorter than a specified length, I would strongly suggest using a new one as a matter of course.

The correct bolt setting is 20Nm + angle-tightening through 135° ±15°

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will try to upload a photo. Yes I'm using the correct tools, however I have at 145 degrees plus 15 either way hence 130-160
Just out of curiosity how do I upload a photo?
Cheers again Kevin

R

·
0 Posts
And thats the other way to get a photo up :)

Yes looks like some of those marks may have happened when it came undone. Nothing a piece of emery cloth or a rotary wire brush shouldn't be able to smooth out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts