Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got up this morning and the handbrake had no travel, it went from say off up to lock but without any tension till it got to the top of the travel then it rachet the last couple then locks. When I took it off it slightly blinded the brakes. I then googled it to see were abouts the tension bolt was and some said behind the ashtray but it doesn't have one. I then undid the 2 screws at the bottom rear of the middle console but after I tried to lift the whole lot started to lift with resistance so I put that back down thinking this is gonna make it a whole lot worse. Were abouts is the handbrake tensioner ?
I took the cap off the brake fluid and pumped it a few times just to see if there's any air then took it for a spin. As the car warmed it the handbrake felt alot better. Would it be possible the cable froze or got stuck due to the sub zero night we had ? or brakes need bleeding as I recently did them. The handbrake has always had a high travel and I keep meaning to get it sorted

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,806 Posts
Does sound like handbrake cables were frozen.
In this weather, worth not using handbrake but leave it in gear instead.

If you could pull away without stalling or rear wheels locked, sounds like brakes need looking at anyway.

Adjustment in under that centre console, just behind and under handbrake lever, single nut IIRC.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks , I first thought it was frozen but i've never had a frozen hand brake ever so it threw me abit. Is there any videos or pictures of the handbrake adjustment ?. When I released the 2 screws at the rear bottom of the centre console the whole console right up the the dash started to lift and I thought, this can't be right somethings bound to snap so I quickly put it back down. I only lifted it say 10mm

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,806 Posts
Seems to be a few vids on you tube.
This one may help but have a hunt
See you also found a pic in another thread that suggest can get to it from back of console, rear passenger footwell area.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again, I looked at the video before and non are mine, mines a MKIII , someone else said the rear compartment pocket in the centre console just above the 12vat the back it's held in with 6 clips , ping it out and the HB nut adjustment is there. Wifes got the car at work so I will look later on

1 - 5 of 5 Posts