Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

We recently bought a 51 plate Megane Convertible - 1.6 - 16v.

As part of the deal, the dealer changed the timing belt as it's done 80,000 miles.

Now I put the car into my trusted local mechanic and he said that they should have changed the water pump at the same time as it's run by the cam. And said that to be safe I should now get this done as soon as I can.

I checked with the dealer and he said his mechanics looked over the pump but it didn't need replacing. I have a 3 month warranty on it. Is it worth getting the pump changed anyway to be safe?

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Probably not. It would certainly have been sensible for it to be done at the same time the timing belt was replaced, as the extra cost is negligible. But to change the pump now would be expensive and you would have to disturb (and possibly replace) the timing belt in the process.

There is a small risk that a broken water pump could damage the timing belt but most of the time if they fail they just leak.

Marv

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Marvin!

Right - so it's not worth the cost to get it replaced for no reason then. Are there any 'warning signs' I should look out for if it fails in the future, or will it just overheat?

Cheers again

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Thanks for the reply Marvin!

Right - so it's not worth the cost to get it replaced for no reason then. Are there any 'warning signs' I should look out for if it fails in the future, or will it just overheat?

Cheers again

No need whatsoever to get it replaced if the mechanics at first garage said it was ok. there are no warning signs tbh. by the sound of it the second garage has put the frighteners on you? I've replaced hundreds of timing belts on your type of engine and only a handful of waterpumps. just keep an eye on your coolant level, but only as a maintainance issue...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, I see. To be honest the dealer said that generically they check water pumps during a belt change and 'if the mechanic deems it necessary they change the water pump' rather than being specific about our vehicle itself.

That's handy to know, thanks Jaime - I was slightly concerned as I thought this was going to be a big fix, but was prepared to pay it if it saved us a huge bill in the future.

So if the pump goes, it doesn't necessarily mean the whole engine impodes then? :)

Thanks very much for your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.