Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
56 plate Megane 1.5DCi with wireless key card

I changed an offside headlamp bulb yesterday. My neighbour knocked on my door later on to say that my lights were on. Odd as I was sure I'd switched them off.

I checked and, sure enough, the lights were switched off at the stalk. I switched them on/off again but nothing changed. I then tried to switch on the ignition and the windscreen wipers started sweeping across the screen, albeit quite slowly, even though their switch was in the off position, too. I couldn't switch them off without switching off the ignition. The lights stayed on.

When I pushed the Start button I the engine didn't start and just displayed the message telling me to press the brake and push the button although the brake was already pressed. No joy pressing the clutch, either. I had to go out so disconnected the battery overnight.

When I reconnected it today the lights no longer stay on but all other symptoms with the non-starting and wipers remain the same. I'm hoping this is just a blown relay or fuse but don't know which one it could be. Can anybody help please?

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
Renault electrics can go doolally if the battery voltage is low so it may be worth checking the battery if only to elimate that aspect as a possibility.

Also check the fuse boxes for signs of damp.:)

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
Fiat Panda Multijet 1300 Diesel
5,415 Posts
First thing I would do is disconnect that bulb,
I have seen bulbs fitted wrongly or the wrong bulb
do all sorts of strange things and about a week back
had bike cutting out traced eventually to a bulb with a internal short.

G

·
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

This sounds like an UCH related problem to me ? as it controls such things as immobiliser, lights and wipers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of your replies.

Well, I had an auto electrician take a look a it (mate of a mate). He whipped out the fusebox, checked for any dampness and blocked drainage holes, reconnected everything and it started fine without him having found any problem! :confused:

The only lingering problem that I had was the rear windows which would only lower or rise by a couple of cm's at a time using either the driver's door switches or the individual door switches. I had to release and press the button again to make them move any further. But that, too, has now resolved itself and they're working fine once again. Weird, weird stuff but I suppose I'll just have to see how it goes, now.:surrender

Thanks again for your thoughts and ideas.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
This happens fairly often as unplugging the unit resets it, rather like turning your PC off and on again.

After the reset the windows will forget where the top and bottom is, but once they've gone up and down they'll work normally.

Glad you got it sorted :)

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
Fiat Panda Multijet 1300 Diesel
5,415 Posts
Work the window up to the top then hold the switch in the up position for a few seconds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
56 plate Megane 1.5DCi with wireless key card

I changed an offside headlamp bulb yesterday. My neighbour knocked on my door later on to say that my lights were on. Odd as I was sure I'd switched them off.

I checked and, sure enough, the lights were switched off at the stalk. I switched them on/off again but nothing changed. I then tried to switch on the ignition and the windscreen wipers started sweeping across the screen, albeit quite slowly, even though their switch was in the off position, too. I couldn't switch them off without switching off the ignition. The lights stayed on.

When I pushed the Start button I the engine didn't start and just displayed the message telling me to press the brake and push the button although the brake was already pressed. No joy pressing the clutch, either. I had to go out so disconnected the battery overnight.

When I reconnected it today the lights no longer stay on but all other symptoms with the non-starting and wipers remain the same. I'm hoping this is just a blown relay or fuse but don't know which one it could be. Can anybody help please?
Hello. I am currently hiring one of these in Spain. I accidentally touched the stalk with the lights on it and the wipers came on, although the stalk is on the other stalk. I was looking up how to switch them off when I came across your post. I read it out to my two friends and we were in tears of laughter, I could see to read on. Thank you! Ps. Hope you got it sorted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.