Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could anyone tell me how to check there is enough oil in the gearbox.and is it easy to top up.as i recently got a new keyfod and a reprogramme from renault (ouch).and they done a point inspection and the sheet told me oil was low but my normal oil is fine.has all the 00000 on the dash not 00_ _ if you know what i mean.and checked the dipstick and thats fine.

thanks for looking

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi tommy2shooter ... did they specifically say the gearbox oil was low ?

If its an automatic, there will be a gearbox dipstick, on manuals you usually have to remove the refill plug on the box and while on a level surface, if the oil just weeps out then its OK, if not then its low ... not very scientific I know, but thats the way .... unless the Megane is different.

Unless you have a leak, its unlikely that the gearbox oil requires topping up.

The engine oil should be checked with the dipstick ... I wouldnt trust the dash display ever ... check it yourself using the stick.

Hope it helps :)

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi tommy2shooter ... did they specifically say the gearbox oil was low ?

If its an automatic, there will be a gearbox dipstick, on manuals you usually have to remove the refill plug on the box and while on a level surface, if the oil just weeps out then its OK, if not then its low ... not very scientific I know, but thats the way .... unless the Megane is different.

Unless you have a leak, its unlikely that the gearbox oil requires topping up.

The engine oil should be checked with the dipstick ... I wouldnt trust the dash display ever ... check it yourself using the stick.

Hope it helps :)
thanks for the reply but renault said oil was low thats it.but checked with the dipstick and its fine.so i dont know where they are getting low oil from.my megane is manual by the way.
the reason i ask aswell is because i am getting like a burning smell or heat buildup under the bonnet but i had the headgasket changed 2 month ago.not loosing any coolant and heaters are working hot and cold and temp is ok.sorry to bombard you m8 lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts