Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Can anyone offer any advice regarding my megane? Have recently got car but have yet to start it! I got it off a friend that had not used it in 2 years and been sat in the yard getting covered in mould and spiderwebs!

My friend said it would probably need a new battery but everything else is good. So went to see if I could jump start to get it home but not even enough power to open the locks so used the key.

So took battery off and took home to charge but battery wasn't charging so bought a new one.

Connected it to the car and yes the key card opened the doors and pressed the start button with brake pedal down and she really sounded like she wanted to start but sounded like there was no fuel getting thro. I couldn't tell u what the dash board lights were doing as I am scared of spiders and could not sit near it.

I have seen in various sites that the immobiliser probably needs to test and have read there is probably a reset sequence but unsure of this as most of them say turn key to ignition on and this is a card and button start! Is there another way?

Sorry for long te,t but wanted to give u as much info as I can!

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
6,986 Posts
ok a couple of things, you have a new battery thats good, can you put the keycard in the car and wait a few seconds to see if the immobiliser light goes out and stays out ( red circle)

second point, did you put any fuel in it or are you trying to start it with two year old fuel? DO NOT put new fuel into the car as you will just ruin that fuel as well, it will need draining before refueling with new fuel

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for quick reply.
Firstly I couldn't tell u about light on dash and car is parked 15 miles away.

No didn't put new fuel in and was saying quarter tank. Just wanted to get it home before doing anything else to it.

My friend tells me she had her mum's neighbour start it every now and again so battery didn't die completely but the neighbours wife got ill so
hasn't been started for about 6 months!

·
6,986 Posts
if the engine was started every now and then and not left to run for a good while to recharge the battery then that will have killed the battery eventually anyway - but that problems solved - new battery

is it diesel or petrol, you missed that bit out of your original post :wink2:

its going to be very difficult to diagnose the problems if you cannot do checks, without knowing what the immobiliser is doing it will be difficult to answer why it wont start, the immobiliser is the first hurdle to starting

Immobilisor light status
flashing @ 2hz - normal condition car turned off
Light goes out - keycard/key accepted car cleared to start
flashing @ 4hz - keycar/key not accepted car not cleared to start
Light remains on solid - keycard/key accepted car cleared to start but another ECU in the car has a problem and has inhibited the start - the car can turn over in this situation but will not start

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry it's a petrol engine!!

Right will have to make a trip to see her again! And take more of the messages!

Should I take a small can of petrol with me?

·
6,986 Posts
If you dont drain out the old fuel then a small can of fuel will be lost in the quarter tank of petrol and not make a whole lot of difference and would take about a 5minute drive for the fuel in the tank to start hitting the engine, so no point at this moment in time.

If the immo light goes out, are there any other messages or warning lights on the dash, all the fault warning ones should go out and you should be left with seat belt (if you have not go it on) and handbrake (if its applied)

if all that is good then it could be something as simple as fuel pressure not having time to get fuel from the tank to the engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hurray we have lift off!

Think we just had not given key time to reset as failed to start first time but left key card in for 10 mins and then it started!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep its all good and a stunner! Just got to clean cobwebs off evict the spiders and move the mould! Happy days! Thanks for all your help! ***9734;

·
6,986 Posts
not a problem, not that I did much, but its what we do it for, to help people fix cars without the garage expense if at all possible

1 - 11 of 11 Posts