Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

02 Megane Scenic Dynamique 2 litre now making a metallic screech on long left hand bends. Is this most likely wheel bearings please?

Had new pads on front rh wheel a month ago but noise only just started. Is there a thin brake shield on these models?

Had new steering rack last year and power steering res full and no noise with engine on and turning wheels full lock.

Any help welcomed

TIA

Vigman

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Jack up the front right wheel. See that it rotates free and silent.
I suspect the brake pads may be rubbing because the caliper is not free.
In particular the inner pad on the rh wheel may be doing a lot more work than the outer.
Why were pads replaced on only one wheel?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jack up the front right wheel. See that it rotates free and silent.
I suspect the brake pads may be rubbing because the caliper is not free.
In particular the inner pad on the rh wheel may be doing a lot more work than the outer.
Why were pads replaced on only one wheel?
Good point. It was done for an MOT pre-service to ensure passing. I have previously had jamming callipers replaced on that rh brake. Mind you, then it screamed going in a straight line.

When I have a re-gassing of the aircon this week (to see why the first re-gassing failed!) I'll get that wheel movement checked out.

Thanks

Vigman

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi been to another garage with an excellent reputation. They changed calipers and also brake fluid as it had taken on water. Also identified a loose wheel bearing on the front rh which was tightened to torque setting.

Been fine for a couple of weeks and has now started up again. Screech on left hand bends from front rh brake. Definitely the brake mechanism as pressing the pedal when screeching relieves the sound??

Will be going back but has anyone else had this please?

TIA

Vigman

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
How old are the flexible hoses at the front ?
They can de-laminate the inner liner which by sod's law will happen in such a way as to act as a non-return valve.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How old are the flexible hoses at the front ?
They can de-laminate the inner liner which by sod's law will happen in such a way as to act as a non-return valve.
Thanks! I wrote a reply to this about a week ago but it seems to have vanished?

I'm having the wheel bearing changed but also notified the garage about the inner liners of the flexible hoses and they will be checking that out for me. Certainly getting screeching at different times. Only on LH corners OR all the time OR half a journey only. Riding/dabbing the brakes can stop the noise but annoying after new pads and calipers (twice this year by different garages!)

Will report back after the work on September 5th

Vigman

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought all was well after the wheel bearing change, and for a few weeks its was. We then had an unusually hot and dry day and the squeak, although quieter appeared again.

I'll get the flexible hoses changed as this seems the only reason why there should be any binding and screeching now!?

Vigman

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,696 Posts
Do you wash your car regularly..
Have known the shampoo that is used wash the grease away from the brake pads.
If it was a flexi, you should see your pads and disc on the affected side show red heat signs..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts