Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok i have for many years suffered from this but for quit a while know i have not but i have had 3 in the last week and it has even been making me physically sick as well, iam wondering if its the new lap top screen any one had this problem:( cheers all the best Donald.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Too much chocolate can trigger a migraine! :rofl:

Seriously, though, it's not nice getting them. It could well be the new lcd screen on your laptop - it is different to a CRT and you are closer and viewing at a diferent angle. It may well be the case that as your eyes etc adjust to it your headaches disappear again! I have heard of people having problems when they use a different monitor.

What type of monitor did your old pc have? Was it a CRT or LCD? If you still have a CRT monitor you could try connecting it to your laptop and using that for a few days to see if your headaches go away again.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
If anything, the LCD should be easier on the eye than the CRT. Less glare, and less radiation. Then again, the display on an LCD is a lot sharper, so maybe that's what's giving you the problem.

I'm not sure about Vista, but on XP, you can enable the 'clear type' function to take some of the harshness out of the on-screen fonts.

On XP, you change it as follows (maybe Vista will be similar):

Right click on the desktop, select 'properties' then the 'appearance' tab, then the 'effects' button.

There's an option in there to select the font smoothing type. Set it to 'clear type' then 'apply.'

It'll look a little blurry until your eyes get used to it, but once they do, you'll be quite happy with it.

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
I take sumatriptan for mine, which is pretty much a last resort, but have not had one for quite a while :) I did read however that this particular drug can in fact make your blood green!

Coffee and chocolate are particular trigger for mine, so i try to keep a lid on them as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The home PC a samsung TFT Flat screen never had a problem at all with it and the new laptop is WXGA Display but as you say it may well be choco:( hope not i need it very much i could not be without it to be honest its a must but i do think it the laptop i will try and do as Horatio has said and see how i get on if not i will try a screen switch as well god i hope not bloody useless it will then:steam: cheers all the best Donald.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
If anything, the LCD should be easier on the eye than the CRT. Less glare, and less radiation. Then again, the display on an LCD is a lot sharper, so maybe that's what's giving you the problem.
I agree, there is also less flicker. Although a lot depends on the quality of the LCD screen, cheap ones with slow refresh rates etc can't "keep" up with your eyes sometimes and appear blurred, or pixeley ( made up word). Cetainly I notice the difference at work, I "aquired" an HP lcd monitor( it came with some equipment but users didn't need the monitor as they wanted a 19" screen) whereas the others have to make do with cheaper,NHS supplied alternatives and they aren't half as clear.

A lot of people don't get on with LCD displays, certainly at first.
My wife also gets migraines and still uses a CRT at work because she is using the PC most of the time.
She is ok with the LCD screen at home as she only ever uses it for a hour probably max at a time!

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree, there is also less flicker. Although a lot depends on the quality of the LCD screen, cheap ones with slow refresh rates etc can't "keep" up with your eyes sometimes and appear blurred, or pixeley ( made up word). Cetainly I notice the difference at work, I "aquired" an HP lcd monitor( it came with some equipment but users didn't need the monitor as they wanted a 19" screen) whereas the others have to make do with cheaper,NHS supplied alternatives and they aren't half as clear.

A lot of people don't get on with LCD displays, certainly at first.
My wife also gets migraines and still uses a CRT at work because she is using the PC most of the time.
She is ok with the LCD screen at home as she only ever uses it for a hour probably max at a time!
Hi as i said the LCD home PC i have no problems at all with i can site at it some days for 12 or more hours no problem at all it just a very high possibility because the head banging sessions have started since i got this machine but you could well be right about the choco,your right about the screen i tend to have to focus more with the laptop than the home PC i will have to try and reset the appearance to see who i get on first thanks Donald.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
when did you have an eye test Donald?

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
i would get them look ed at then, computers zap your eye sight.;)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i would get them look ed at then, computers zap your eye sight.;)
Iam going to have to if the above does not work i did have glasses when i was younger big Brown ones:d NHS specials:d but i have to say i have no problem reading the papers or driving but thanks we will have to wait and see cheers Donald.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Get your eyes checked now Donald as all eyesight tests are free in Scotland so a good time to get them done.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
Wear sunglasses when out in the sun, ease off coffee chocolate , coke and red wine, mine were caused by hormonal changes,used to take 'sanomigran' for them but touch wood dont get many anymore.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Migraines are difficult to treat as there are so many triggers, Stress, environmental issues, food, Sex, Psychomatic, many things can trigger a Migraine and each time it could be a different trigger, so hard to treat even painkillers can trigger attacks, each will have their own way of treating them, for some they are very life restricting.

I believe todays lifestyle does not help.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
From what my GP told me sumatriptan treats the migraine as opposed to the pain. It pinpoints the narrowing which causes the pain and relaxes it. You have to take this drug within one hour of a migraine starting and if it doesn't work for you then, it never will.

But it sounds like Donald should speak to his GP regarding this drug, i think its expensive and not used as widely as it should be ;)

Sumatriptan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi drugs are not high on my list as i already take 16 pills a day just know for my amputation Paracetamol,Garbapenton,Tramadol,Cocodamol you can here me shaking coming down the stairs:d :crazy:

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Hi drugs are not high on my list as i already take 16 pills a day just know for my amputation Paracetamol,Garbapenton,Tramadol,Cocodamol you can here me shaking coming down the stairs:d :crazy:
You only take them as and when Donald, so if you feel a migraine coming on - you take one and then if it works you take another. My new pack has remained unopened and has been like that for over 6 months, hopefully you won't need them but its worth a shot.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You only take them as and when Donald, so if you feel a migraine coming on - you take one and then if it works you take another. My new pack has remained unopened and has been like that for over 6 months, hopefully you won't need them but its worth a shot.
Hi yes well thats not so bad i will indeed look into this with my GP its all adding up there are so many if's and but's but i will change one at a time to see if there is any improvment had one this morning taking Stewart to school one minute i was fine and then bang as fast as this and i had to divert to bed with the curtains pulled only way i can deal with it:(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts