Independent Renault Forums banner

21 - 40 of 99 Posts

Registered
Ah yes forgot it one of those cards on the later cars..proceed as you have said..good luck ..just remember ..what ever you do dont manually open the IVC in any way..
Sorry to chime in. Thats interesting. I removed my throttle body completely for the engine. Then manually move the butterfly valve to clean it. Would this of damaged my throttle body by doing this? The car seems to be ok driving wise, since cleaning that is.

Sexy at 71 super mod..
Sorry to chime in. Thats interesting. I removed my throttle body completely for the engine. Then manually move the butterfly valve to clean it. Would this of damaged my throttle body by doing this? The car seems to be ok driving wise, since cleaning that is.
It can damage the internal workings of the motorised unit so not to be taken lightly..this applies to all motorised throttle bodies but you have luckily got away with it..while the front of the throttle plate shows some dirt just think what's hidden at the rear..I had to recently do a throttle body clean on my daughter in laws Suzuki swift and its far more complicated than the clio one having 2 water hoses going to it and a vacuum connection.. safer option for the renault T/B full clean would be to remove it and not to disconnect the power feed to it and leave the ign switched off.. clean the front of the ICV and then flip it over to clean the rear of the ICV and replace it with a new gasket observing the DO NOT OPEN MANUALLY while doing so..just getting a new T/B gasket nowadays seems to be an impossible task as well

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
Looks like there will be a delay in cleaning the throttle body. I've tried all over the place but nobody over here seems to stock it. Nearest I can get is an "EGR and Carb Cleaner". I think I'll have to try and order it online. From what I've read carb cleaner is a bit more aggressive and may remove any coatings on the throttle body.

Sexy at 71 super mod..
Tried Halfords ?

Quicker to link this than type it with 2 fingers..lol

Registered
Hi Moonfire,
Just to chip in, Phil's advice looks good.
I'd add that your original list of suspects looks good, but yes add in the air/intake system. Dirt is a possibility. I use Carb cleaner from Halfords. It says it's ok for injected / catalysed vehicles.
Another suspect is an air leak in any of the air intake system.

Sexy at 71 super mod..
Let me link you this regarding air leaks they can cause all manor of problems..see the post from LVR who is very much on the ball with what he posts saying that renault ICV's should not be operated manually..air leaks can indeed cause a hesitation and should have made that evident to you .

..https://www.renaultforums.co.uk/threads/clio-mk3-1-2-16v-engine-race-after-service.595443/

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
OK thanks Phil. I'll have a look at that. Beginning to wish we hadn't evolved beyond carbs, points and plugs... ;)

Sexy at 71 super mod..
AND ? its spotless by the way..is it back in place and ok

Sexy at 71 super mod..
Its like new ..wow..and is the problem sorted and hesitation gone now ? pics 2 and 3 show flap open

Registered
Discussion Starter #39
Sadly, no. If anything it's (ridiculous I know) slightly worse. As I said before it's what I'd probably call a "soft" misfire. I have a sneaking feeling it's down on 1 probably 2 pots... intermittently... but intermittently as in every second or so..

Sexy at 71 super mod..
Ok so where are you going from here..have you checked plugs and coil ect

21 - 40 of 99 Posts