Independent Renault Forums banner

41 - 60 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sadly, no. If anything it's (ridiculous I know) slightly worse. As I said before it's what I'd probably call a "soft" misfire. I have a sneaking feeling it's down on 1 probably 2 pots... intermittently... but intermittently as in every second or so..
Probably worth investing in a good code reader?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
It maybe nothing. But, when I took the airbox off I could hear something rattling around inside it. I took it apart and whatever it was fell out into the engine compartment. Unfortunately, I can't find what it is or was. I've had an endoscope down there (hence the delay - it didn't work at first and I've spent 2 days until I finally sorted it out) but even now I can't see anything. Sounded like a metallic clink when it hit the tray - but that under tray seems to be plastic.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So... next? Coil pack? Do plugs really go off these days? Especially after 15K?
In our case it was the coil pack, the one at the pulley end is more exposed and the insulation on the side had turned to rust.
But ours is a 1.6 mark 3. Not sure if it's the same on yours.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Sorry Clio, just seen your post. A good code reader? Perhaps. Except there are no warning lights on the dash.

As regards the coil pack - it seems to be a single coil pack for all 4 plugs - but out of that coil 4 separate HT leads.

·
Super mod..
28,143 Posts
Dont like the something fell out of the airbox thing..is the map sensor still in place..on the 1.2 its held in place with a rubber grommet..dont yank at it because these grommets are known to drop into the inlet manifold when the Map sensor is removed.. plugs are a wear and tare item ..try running the engine and remove the ignition cable wire connectors of each plug one at at time to see if the engine runs normally on the note drops..if there is no difference in running speed there is a problem on the cylinder..if the engine slows then all is ok and reconnect that plug connector..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry Clio, just seen your post. A good code reader? Perhaps. Except there are no warning lights on the dash.

As regards the coil pack - it seems to be a single coil pack for all 4 plugs - but out of that coil 4 separate HT leads.
HT leads 😂 I didn't know they still existed! Ok, so yes they are a candidate for the fault too. A seven year old Clio with original ht leads, I'd be replacing them anyway, just to be on the safe side....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Yeah... that's exactly what I thought Phil. Something has either broken or been "sucked in". But on a 1.2 Clio. Hence the delay till I get the endoscope working - I didn't move it off the drive in case it fell out and I didn't know what it was. Today, I had a look but couldn't find it and in the end took the car out.

·
Super mod..
28,143 Posts
Just in case it helps. This is what it looks like under the bonnet. View attachment 186703
Can see the MAP in place so all looks ok there.. fingers crossed you find what it was I dont like mysteries..in the mean time do the test by removing the plug connectors to check out each cylinder..going to be off here for a bit because I have a sore back but will be back later..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thanks Phil...

Ouch... I have one of those as well...

But, yes. It worried me too. I couldn't think what it could be (but imagined all sorts) and so haven't driven it for the last couple of days waiting until I'd got the endoscope working again. Having done so, I still couldn't find what it was and I've had an inspection mirror and a light down there as well. If felt like a "small" rattle when it hit the undertray. But as it was a metallic sound and the undertray seems to be plastic maybe it didn't hit the tray? I'm hoping it was just a small stone flicked up by a car in front that has found it's way into the airbox. I couldn't find anything underneath where the car was when I moved it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Incidentally... the MAP sensor. Just for the avoidance of doubt, is that the sensor on the extreme left hand side of the cam cover as we look at the photo above?

·
Super mod..
28,143 Posts
Thanks Phil...

Ouch... I have one of those as well...

But, yes. It worried me too. I couldn't think what it could be (but imagined all sorts) and so haven't driven it for the last couple of days waiting until I'd got the endoscope working again. Having done so, I still couldn't find what it was and I've had an inspection mirror and a light down there as well. If felt like a "small" rattle when it hit the undertray. But as it was a metallic sound and the undertray seems to be plastic maybe it didn't hit the tray? I'm hoping it was just a small stone flicked up by a car in front that has found it's way into the airbox. I couldn't find anything underneath where the car was when I moved it.
Any thing thats worked its way into the air box will eventual get sucked into the T.B and into the inlet so whatever it is ..better out than in..air only travels one way and thats inwards.. yes map is in place as ear as I can see..

·
Super mod..
28,143 Posts
Although I'm unfamiliar with the 1.2 the MAP is usually between the air filter and the throttle body.
See post 42 and you will see the Map sensor located on the top left hand corner of the air box..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Many thanks LvR. I thought it was, but thought it might be helpful to others. So many sensors... such a small engine.

(Incidentally, in case any one else is using this as a reference photo, the hose with the cream nylon top lying at 45 degrees to the top of the middle of the battery (the transmission breather hose) should be clipped into the white clip in the the right hand side and centre of the airbox housing).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just a comment, the concertina hose at the front looks its age now! But that shouldn't cause the problem effects because it's upstream of the MAP sensor. But if there's anything like that downstream of the sensor then I'd replace it.

·
Super mod..
28,143 Posts
Just a comment, the concertina hose at the front looks its age now! But that shouldn't cause the problem effects because it's upstream of the MAP sensor. But if there's anything like that downstream of the sensor then I'd replace it.
Plenty of life left in that its just a hose taking air to the airbox..if it splits just wind some gaffer tape around it as a temp repair.. lol

Reactions: LvR
41 - 60 of 110 Posts