Independent Renault Forums banner

101 - 120 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
My wife has a 2014 Qashqai 2 1.2 DIG Acenta Premium and hers are going too so I'll see if I they do some rubbers for that one too. £52 for a set of wipers we were quoted for that one when last it was serviced.

·
Super mod..
26,448 Posts

Look down the list and you will see some advertised.. they are fairly easy to fit and does save quite a bit of the folding stuff over replacement blades..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Petrol Magic arrived today and I poured the whole lot into just under a quarter of a tank of super unleaded. Gave it a very thorough Italian Tune Up both up and down the Mountain until the Low Fuel light came on, but sadly to no avail.

The filler cap tightens up a lot more smoothly than it used to though...;)

So I think we can now rule out the fuel injectors. Mine must be squeaky clean now. Well worth a try though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Next steps?

I thought I'd try and test the testable items first, but I've only found information about testing the HT leads. I'll check them out tomorrow with a multimeter for resistance.

I've had the crankshaft sensor out and cleaned it and checked that it is still magnetic (it is). So, at first glance at least, it seems to be OK - or is that not a particularly effective test?

The plugs are evidently working OK at idle and at low revs and working fine at higher to high revs intermittently - is a plug really likely to go off intermittently? Or is it like a light bulb? Either it works, or it doesn't? I know they can track, but...

which leaves...

d) camshaft sensor;

e) MAP sensor.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 · (Edited)
Ignition coils are at the top of my list and the manual I have talks about checking the primary resistance between ABC and D. Does anyone know what the reference to A, B, C and D is? Are they marked on the coil pack as such?

·
Super mod..
26,448 Posts
Have a look on you tube for how to test a coil pack..there should be plenty of info on there..

·
Premium Member
Renault Scenic 1.6 L 16V 2002 Petrol
16,196 Posts
Wynns Petrol Clean 3 Extreme is what I recommend. I bottle to a tank full of petrol. My 2002 scenic always had the MIL light on even with a fooler fitted. MOT emission tests were always good but still the light would come on. Always reset the MIL light just before an MOT to get it through, no problems. The new MOT test worried me as any MIL light on is a failure. Gave the car a good run up the motorway for a couple of hours from Cornwall up to Gloucester and the MIL light has never come again after giving it a bottle of this.
This I did in April 2018 and it has not shown the MIL light again, improved the MPG by 10% and it is still getting a good mpg with no deterioration in Mpg yet.

Another thing is check your spark plugs, look at the ends to see what condition they are in, they should all be the same if everything is running OK.
If one has blacker carbon deposits on it it could be breaking down under load. They should all be a brownish grey colour.
Different colours could just be the spark plug or the ignition coils.
Change the plugs first, if the problem persists check the condition of the spark plugs again, note which one comes from which cylinder. That will give you an idea of which coil needs replacing, but I think your engine does not have the separate coils like a Scenic does. The HT leads can be suspect, I would change them next, after that if no better the coil pack.
If there is a fuel filter change that, there aren't fuel filters in a lot of cars nowadays, the filter is built in to the tank sender unit. There is a Filter on my RX4 2.0 L engine but on my 1.6 L scenic no filter.
Persistent little faults like this are hard to find and diagnose, not all will show up as faults on a code reader, it depends how persistent they are, and especially if they are intermittent. but following my sequence of detection is the cheapest option rather than throwing money at it and replacing everything at once.

Best of luck.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
21,650 Posts
Personally my next step would be plugs and coils.
Swap them for new.
Checking resistance is all well and good but that will only show a coil that has failed totally.
Which isn't the case with you.
But both plugs and coils can break down under load.
Admittedly less frequent now re plugs but while they may not clog up with carbon or burn out as they used to, can happen.
Coils are effectively a transformer, all sorts of issues can happen to transformers under high load (12 - 20000v IIRC).
If you do swap, swap the lot, a faulty coil can take out a plug and vice versa so you end up chasing your tail if only swapping the obvious bad one.
Not to mention leads breaking down but they come with a coil pack.

Re your ABCD...dunno but IIRC, two of the leads going in should be earth, probably black

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Bleeding brakes... and I'm not cursing. But I may well have been when it happened.

Looks like I may have to delay things for a bit. Total brake failure on the back brake of a Kawasaki ZXR400 motorcycle. Back brake lever to the floor job.

Not a nice feeling and has a tendency to not only make you stop stopping, but when you do stop, to do so in an entirely different way than running out of petrol... Not good.

Think it's a master cylinder strip down and rebuild. I hate messing about with brake fluid - think I'm going to have to buy a bleeding brake kit

Sorry. Brake bleeding kit. ;)

·
Super mod..
26,448 Posts
Dave Gayle he used to race bikes ..now he has a metal chassis like the terminator..4 wheels for me or maybe a 3 wheeler pedal bike..Gresham flyer anyone..lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
I used to race Moto X bikes.

I still can't understand why, when I had to have a medical a couple of days ago that they took my height measurement and told me that I've shrunk by 2 and a half inches! 2 and a half inches. Measuring stick must have broken off at the bottom.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Sorry Phil, but I'm going to have to give tonight's award to Dancingdad. You must admit it was a good one.

101 - 120 of 146 Posts