Independent Renault Forums banner

Misfire - Clio IV 1.2 16V D4F D740 engine

14K views 145 replies 8 participants last post by  Moonfire 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm a new member to the Forum and have a 2013 1.2 Clio IV (D4F D740 engine) with about 15,000 miles on the clock and a persistent hesitation or misfire.

It shows itself under acceleration (all the time) at anything above about 3000 rpm and appears to be a very brief hesitation or stutter - only for a fraction of a second, but continuing a second or so later as the car continues to accelerate. I've tried putting an injector cleaner in the fuel but it didn't help. I've also taken the crankshaft sensor off and cleaned it (incidentally, it didn't have the usual metal tip protruding - but I assume this is a later version). The sensor was magnetised and readily clung to any steel surfaces. Fuel consumption is only in the high 20's but it's very rural around here and it does a lot of short journeys.

The Check Engine light is not on and a code reader has not thrown up any fault codes.

From what I've read on the Forum it sounds like the following could be the cause:

a) ignition coil;​
b) spark plugs;​
c) crankshaft sensor;​
d) camshaft sensor;​
e) MAP sensor.​
Would anyone be able to confirm whether my list of likely suspects sounds reasonable (or suggest any alternatives or additions) and if it does suggest what order I should begin to replace things please? I intend to replace them one at a time and see if things improve rather than do so all in one go.

Grateful for any advice please.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi,

I'm a new member to the Forum and have a 2013 1.2 Clio IV (D4F D740 engine) with about 15,000 miles on the clock and a persistent hesitation or misfire.

It shows itself under acceleration (all the time) at anything above about 3000 rpm and appears to be a very brief hesitation or stutter - only for a fraction of a second, but continuing a second or so later as the car continues to accelerate. I've tried putting an injector cleaner in the fuel but it didn't help. I've also taken the crankshaft sensor off and cleaned it (incidentally, it didn't have the usual metal tip protruding - but I assume this is a later version). The sensor was magnetised and readily clung to any steel surfaces. Fuel consumption is only in the high 20's but it's very rural around here and it does a lot of short journeys.

The Check Engine light is not on and a code reader has not thrown up any fault codes.

From what I've read on the Forum it sounds like the following could be the cause:

a) ignition coil;​
b) spark plugs;​
c) crankshaft sensor;​
d) camshaft sensor;​
e) MAP sensor.​
Would anyone be able to confirm whether my list of likely suspects sounds reasonable (or suggest any alternatives or additions) and if it does suggest what order I should begin to replace things please? I intend to replace them one at a time and see if things improve rather than do so all in one go.

Grateful for any advice please.
Surprised its not put the engine light on most on the list will..what scanner did you use ?

#10 ·
Do you know how to remove the air filter box.. if you do then remove that..then look into the throttle body and you will see a circular flap hinged through the centre..that flap is the IVC [inlet control valve ] butterfly valve its often called.. if here is significant dirt on that and the bore of the throttle body this could be your problem. .have a look o you tube at some vids to give you an idea..

#12 ·
Excellent. Thanks Phil. I've had the air filter box off. Sorry, I didn't know the butterfly valve was called that. I'll have a look at it again tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help. I'll let you know how I get on.
Ok but before you go ..what ever you do if you attempt to clean it.. DO NOT MANUALLY OPEN THE FLAP !!! its motorised and opening it manually will cause it to loose throttle position and then you will be in trouble..

#15 ·
Hi Phil, please find attached a photo of the ICV on the Clio with the persistent misfire which we spoke about last night. Do you think it needs cleaning or does that look OK? In view of what you said about not trying to manually operate the ICV, I haven't touched the butterfly valve at all. It it is necessary to do so in order to clean it, am I right in thinking that if it's motorised that it's a "fly by wire" system rather than physically operated by a cable or rods and that the only way to open the throttle (the ICV) would be with someone inside the car pressing the accelerator pedal? If so will it operate with the ignition system on rather than with the engine running?
Auto part Carburetor Automotive engine part

#16 ·
Yes that is dirty..its a fly by wire system and the body talks to the gas pedal..if you are going to have a go then you need some throttle body cleaner in spray form and a 1" paint brush and soft rag,,spray around the outside of the ICV lightly and then use the brush to remove any loose carbon..spraying should loosen it ..wipe away with the cloth carfully..when the plate is clean with the help of a second person turn ign key to first setting and push the gas pedal to the floor now check to see if the ICV has opened..if opened hold down while you clean at the back of the plate and body.. when happy release the gas pedal and switch off..leave for a while for any spray to evaporate and then start her up..let her idle for a while because it might be lumpy the tick over due to spray entering the inlet tract..

#17 ·
Excellent. Thanks Phil. I'll see if I can get some throttle body cleaner tomorrow and let you know how I get on. It's one of those Renault cards that I insert into the slot under the radio. I take it I just put it in the slot - all the dash lights come on and get someone to press the loud pedal to the floor?

#25 ·
Looks like there will be a delay in cleaning the throttle body. I've tried all over the place but nobody over here seems to stock it. Nearest I can get is an "EGR and Carb Cleaner". I think I'll have to try and order it online. From what I've read carb cleaner is a bit more aggressive and may remove any coatings on the throttle body.

#26 ·
Tried Halfords ?

Quicker to link this than type it with 2 fingers..lol

#28 ·
Hi Moonfire,
Just to chip in, Phil's advice looks good.
I'd add that your original list of suspects looks good, but yes add in the air/intake system. Dirt is a possibility. I use Carb cleaner from Halfords. It says it's ok for injected / catalysed vehicles.
Another suspect is an air leak in any of the air intake system.

#30 ·
Let me link you this regarding air leaks they can cause all manor of problems..see the post from LVR who is very much on the ball with what he posts saying that renault ICV's should not be operated manually..air leaks can indeed cause a hesitation and should have made that evident to you .

..https://www.renaultforums.co.uk/threads/clio-mk3-1-2-16v-engine-race-after-service.595443/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.