Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
Just replaced the timing belt on my 2000 1.4 following the head gasket failing. I was unable to align the crank and camshaft before dissasembly because the cylinders were full of water & the motor would not turn over.
The Haynes manual says to align the crank to a mark on the bottom cover, this is OK. Align the camshaft to a mark on the cylinder head. The problem is theres no reference mark on the head or rocker cover. It also mentions to align to a mark in a hole in the ally timing cover. This alignment mark looks nothing like the manual and is about 20 degrees out.
If I align the crank pulley to the lower mark and the cam pulley perpendicular to midpoint of the cylinder head, then i`m about half a pitch out.
Is it OK to just use the white references on the new belt ensuring the pulley marks and white lines align.
I hope this is clear.

Thanks in advance.

Steve-a

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Hi Steve,

The crankshaft sprocket should have a mark on it, which aligns with a mark on the engine casing at the "6 o'clock" position. Similarly, there should be a mark on the camshaft sprocket which aligns with a mark on the rocker cover, just a few degrees on clockwise from the "12 o'clock" position.

The belt should have an arrow indicating normal direction, and two white markers which should align with all the above set positions.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Hi
Why just not unwind the spark plugs and you'll have a nice fountain while turning the engine.
The marks are not exactly opposite so you have a short and a long part between the marks so the belt must be turned or positioned right. The upper marking is a line crossing the camshaft pulley on the side of the cover.
And I guess you already found the lower one.
Of course the pictures are for 1.4 8V engine as presumed on yours too. But there might be a change on rocker cover since this is Clio I 1.4 Energy engine.
DG

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts