Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have one of the strip antennas that fit on the inside of the front windscreen. Will the heat reflective coating stop it working in the same way it blocks out the GPS?
Also, what is the stub arial on the roof for? I dont have factory GPS & I understand that the radio arial is in the side windows on the sport hatch.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi PW - yeh the heat reflecting coating is likely to block any signals - have you had the car since new. As far as I know the car was never produced as new with a roof aerial as standard - so it's possible the stub you have is a after market fitting for a mobile phone kit.:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope it's def std fit. My old hatch back had the same one as does my brother in laws. His has gps stamped on the base as his Laguna has the factory sat nav.

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi, I have one of the strip antennas that fit on the inside of the front windscreen. Will the heat reflective coating stop it working in the same way it blocks out the GPS?
Also, what is the stub arial on the roof for? I dont have factory GPS & I understand that the radio arial is in the side windows on the sport hatch.
If its fitted on the black dotted area then it will be OK as that area of the screen is not coated for exactly this purpose.

Hope it helps :)

·
2,311 Posts
and the second bit of the answer ... :eek: The sharks fin is for GPS and GSM reception ... if you dont have satnav fitted then your car has the telephone pre-equipment fitted.

Hope it helped again :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What phone equipment? Any idea how to access it & where the aerial lead terminates & if it can be used with a Nokia hands free?
Thanks for the info on the windscreen as well!

Pete

·
2,311 Posts
Its usually under the gear stick gator ... its designed for the THB System8 Take&Talk hand free kits and is a straight plug in ... it includes mic, telemute and antenna ... if you chop it up and use a converter you can make almost any manufacturers kit fit ... but IMHO I'd wait until its out of warranty before doing anything like that.

I use THB kit in both our cars and I actually prefer them to the Nokia stuff .... the big plus is when you change your phone you only need to change the cradle.

BURY TECHNOLOGIES GmbH & Co. KG

hope it helps :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great now I've gone & bought a Nokia kit!!
There is nothing about it in the hand book & no wiring diagramme in the Haynes manual (Mind you they should re-name them 'Crap manuals' for all the use they are!)
Where can I find out what wire does what?

Pete

PS
Thanks again. Will you marry me?

·
2,311 Posts
NO ... I'm not that sort of boy :d

The wiring is as follows ...

1/ The telemute presents a 4 pin molex for the power/earth etc ... some Nokia kits use the 4 pin molex, some of the older ones use the 6 pin molex ... you may need an adapter.
The Head unit is already connected and when activated puts "Speech" on the display and mutes the headunit.

2/ The jack plug is for the mic input.

3/ The antenna is presented as a FME connector, you may need an adapter depending what the Nokia kit presents.

Thats it really ... there should be a single wiring instruction with the cars paperwork, or if you purchase a Renault OEM (THB kit) base unit and cradle you will also get wiring instructions.

Check this site out ... Terry is very helpful and the forums are excellent for all types of mobile installations.

Sio Communications Home page

Hope it helps :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many thanks for all the advice.
Mind you having fitted the kit I do find it worrying how the car just seems to clip together with hardly any mechanical fixings!

·
2,311 Posts
Many thanks for all the advice.
Mind you having fitted the kit I do find it worrying how the car just seems to clip together with hardly any mechanical fixings!

First Renault then .... :rolleyes:

When we purchased our previous Espace (new), on collection the salesman presented us with a very high quality plastic bag with a Renault logo on it ... to quote .. " thats for all the bits that fall off .... just stick them in the bag and bring them back and we'll pop them back on again" ..... Oh the joys of owning a Renault

Glad it all went well :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts