Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my wife recently got a modus, and we found that after 6 miles plus, it just shuts off. It's always happened when we've had to stop at lights though. It'll go off for a few minutes, radio etc will still work but it just won't start. I was wondering if anyone on here can help?

·
Premium Member
3,615 Posts
Could be a million things. What happens when it just shuts off? Any warning lights? What do you do to eventually start it again? So many variables... fuel, engine temperature. Could be a sensor, fuel, crankcase ventilation, all these things change as the engine warms up. Have you had anyone check the Renault fault codes. Other than that, the obvious answer is to keep your journeys to less than six miles - or don't stop at red lights (just joking here)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an automatic car by the way. Don't do anything different. We drive fine, then always on the same road, it stops. We stop at the lights, then it just shudders and stops. Won't start up again for a few minutes. It's as if it's some kind of Bermuda triangle style mystery or my wife is some how stalling an automatic car

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,486 Posts
What happens when you restart it, will it drive all day afterwards, or again switch off after another 6 mile trip (12 miles of running, but switch off after each 6miles)

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,771 Posts
Next time try taking the fuel cap off and putting it back see if it
starts then.

·
7,771 Posts
That sounds like carburetor icing only problem with that
is it's to warm and your car is injected and as far as I
know injected engines don't suffer from it.

·
38,486 Posts
Hi, my wife recently got a modus, and we found that after 6 miles plus, it just shuts off. It's always happened when we've had to stop at lights though. It'll go off for a few minutes, radio etc will still work but it just won't start. I was wondering if anyone on here can help?
When its first started, does it idle ok... Or take a few minutes to settle down

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Once it starts again after a few minutes, it's perfect again. No signs of anything wrong. The thing is, apart from the short shudder of the car before it stops, there are no other signs whatsoever.

·
7,771 Posts
Wounder if it's something to do with the auto box not disengaging drive
and dragging the engine down? but why only once ?

·
Premium Member
6,564 Posts
hi

has the auto trans fluid level been checked ?

does it still stall if you put it into N before you slow down and stop ?

Al

·
38,486 Posts
Once it starts again after a few minutes, it's perfect again. No signs of anything wrong. The thing is, apart from the short shudder of the car before it stops, there are no other signs whatsoever.
Not once it starts again..
First thing in the morning, you start the car, at this point.
Does it start ok, not once its been running and dies..
But the very first use of the day.. Does it tick over ok then..
This is what I mean...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts