Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the first examples of the Modus are coming up for their 10th birthday this year I thought how would we sum it up. My old man has had one for the last 3yrs and it's been a money pit compared to the R19 and Scenic he ran before - both were quite elderly cars when he bought them, yet neither gave him hardly a spot of bother, in fact they were both great cars. But the Modus cost him a fortune as it was only 4 y/o.

Anyway...

GOOD POINTS:

- Nippy in 1.5DCI 86 form (don't forget that £30 road tax)
- Immensely practical (love that Triptic rear seat)
- Doddle to drive
- Generous specification

BAD POINTS

- Feels tinny
- Appalling electrics. I've had blower fans pack up, persistent bulb blows, the main ECU going and now the moon roof giving us bother.
- An absolute swine of a car to work on yourself. How can replacing a headlamp bulb entail the dismantling of the whole front section of the car???
- The usual foibles of French cars - the suspension starts to get tired at 50,000+ I've replaced a broken spring and the trackrod ends.
- Oh and that wretched EGR valve on the diesel engine.

Any general opinions here, or am I just being cynical and my dad's is merely a "Friday Car"? I am maybe spoiled because I'm a VW/Audi man personally which feel like Sherman Tanks compared to any of my dad's Ren-Ohs.....but what do others think?

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
I may be a little harsh with my Renault Scenic but it is a pain to work on. Mine seems very badly put together with more rattles than any other car I've owned. I much preferred my Octavia but that car had one major drawback, my family didn't fit in it! In that respect, the Scenic is spot on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm on my 6th rear window regulator due to the cheap plastic bit holding the window always breaking. Tie rod ends are on their second set, and blower fan no2 otherwise just the usual wear and tear. just passed 125K miles.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,404 Posts
Have you tried using silicon grease , ( That white stuff in a can )
Seems to slow the clip from tearing away where the wire goes over it , better than the normal grease

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have. We eventually made a point of not using that window. Still snapped at the T. I am wondering if I shouldn't try and print one myself. We have a printer here at work, just need the cad file.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,404 Posts
They are pretty shite ..

Window seals been cleaned

( Fairy liquid poured down where the window runs works wonders, have tried everything possible, and still gone back to Fairy , ( Only brand that seems to work , wife hates me, as we use morning fresh )
Customers get a bit pi55ed off first few times it rains . LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts