Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While attempting to remove the protection & switching unit (relay & fuseboard) to debug a dipped beam stuck on problem, one of the connectors came apart.

I now have a collection of wires that fitted that connector, but I am uncertain which wire went to which pin :confused:

This is the 12 pin connector 'CN' on the relay & fuse board. The connector is made from two plastic parts, brown & white.

Only 11 pins are used.

The wire colours I have are:
3 x Yellow
2 x Blue
1 x Grey
1 x White
1 x Brown
1 x Orange
1 x Green
1 x Purple
The Orange, Green & purple wires are slightly thicker. See picture below.

How do I figure out which wire goes to which pin, so that I can re-assemble the connector?

Any help gratefully received :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hello
Do you have a manual for the Modus?
What age and engine size is it?
I believe the thicker wires are for the CAN bus.
In theory you can work out the answer from the wiring diagram, e.g. for the Clio 3, which shares a lot of parts with the Modus:-
pins 1 and 4 are blue
pin 2 is orange
pin 3 is violet
pin 5 is blue
pins 7 and 8 are white
pin 10 is yellow
pin 14 is yellow
... but please don't trust this totally for your Modus, the manual is not totally clear on this.

Maybe a Modus owner could take a photo for you, but we'd need to know the exact model.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
Many thanks for the quick reply!
I have a wiring diagram pdf I downloaded that tells me the pins are as follows, but not the colours:

The car is a 2011 Renault Grand Modus 1.5dci - 160K miles, and still going well, until now!

I think Pins 4 & 5 were blue, and pin 12 was violet, which is slightly different to the Clio. As you say, I need a Modus owner to tell nme what colours they have!
Thanks again
Rob

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
42,568 Posts

·
42,568 Posts

·
42,568 Posts

·
42,568 Posts

·
42,568 Posts
hopefully one of these will do

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks for the photos ours2012 :)

Unfortunately, none of the match the combination of colours that I have.

They do give me some clues though, maybe I can make progress based on them.

Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ok, good luck ...
But, just to go back to your original problem, when our Clio (2007) had the lights stuck on dipped, it turned out to be the light switch (i.e. the one on the steering column).
Fitted a new light switch/stalk, problem solved.
During the earlier investigation I too looked inside the fuse box / unit, and soon gave up, it looked too difficult!
Have you tried the light switch? I guess you can't until you put these wires back together!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi,
When I checked the switch (a few weeks ago, when the problem first happened) it seemed to work; the sidelight & headlight indicators on the dash lit up as expected, but the headlights didn't change & stayed on.
Disconnecting the battery seemed to clear it; not this time though :-( Hence my looking at the relay board.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi,
When I checked the switch (a few weeks ago, when the problem first happened) it seemed to work; the sidelight & headlight indicators on the dash lit up as expected, but the headlights didn't change & stayed on.
Disconnecting the battery seemed to clear it; not this time though :-( Hence my looking at the relay board.
Ok, do you mean the blue full beam indicator came on but the lights stayed as dipped? On mine the blue didn't come on either. The full beam bit of the light switch was failing (intermittently). After several attempts it went onto full beam then wouldn't come off again!
Also, do you have the Auto lights option, if so then best disable auto light function whilst you check the rest of the system out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't try the main beam; my concern at the time was to get the dipped beam to turn off!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've returned to trying to fix this after some time away.
It's not proving as easy as I thought!
Does anybody know where I can get the 12 pin connector whith wires in place (such as might have been removed from aq scrap vehicle) ?
Then I could feed the wires into a choc strip, to allow me to test various combinations of possible conmnections more easily.
Happy to pay postage/costs if anybody has one!

·
42,568 Posts
If you cannot find one with the same colours what then .
Think you need to think a bit about this, then get the multimeter out, and work out which wire goes where..
Renault have never been good with colour codes, hence the numbers from one end to the other..
You know from your diagram where they should go .
So work back wards
START ON the ones you are certain of ( Easiest to get to )

·
Registered
150 Posts
Two possible solutions I can think of: (1) Go to view a Modus pretending to be a prospective purchaser. Or (2) Is it time to buy an MoT failure and use it as parts for yours :) ?

·
42,568 Posts
issue is, the wiring is different , so he could buy one same year, same spec but no guarantee wiring colours will match .
Renault buy their looms fro everyone, and anyone, as only the position of the wires on the plugs matter

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi,
It was not my intention to try to match colours etc; but it would allow me to connect the cables one by one easily , until I was happy that they were correct.

Then I would re-assemble the original connector, having determined where each wire should be.

·
42,568 Posts
that would not work, you would blow the ecu first, how could you test them to make sure no power going to the wrong place

1 - 20 of 23 Posts