Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm hoping you can give some input as to what may be the problem before I take this back to the garage.

My dirvers side main beam is not working. I took this to a garage and the bulb was replace but this didn't fix the problem. The mechanic started testing some wires which are located just behind to battery but could not find any problem (not sure exactly what he was doing but he had some kind of testing device which he was applying to some wires i think)....

Anyway, since then things have got worse as it seems my indicator/lights switch has gone crazy. Everytime i indicate left or right the main beams come on and i have to fiddle with the stick for them to turn off. It just seems to stick which makes me think i need to get the indicator stick replaced?

is this just a simple issue of replacing the indicator stick or is it going to be a bigger issue? my mechanic mentioned the comms unit....

If it is the stick, could anyone recommend some where to buy one from. its a 2005 Modus

thanks for reading any any help will be appreciated

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Modus electric problem: lights/indicatirs

It sounds like a multiplexing problem to me. Modern cars don't have a separate wire for each circuit. There's just a few wires, and commands are encoded so that the car knows to activate the headlight / indicator / whatever. It cuts down on weight and the complexity of the wiring-loom, but is a problem if it goes wrong. You need a car electrics expert, I'm afraid.

P

·
0 Posts
I just fixed a very similar problem on the wife’s Modus...Indicating right would also turn on the R/H lights. After much fiddling about with connectors and light clusters, I tracked it down to a wire breaking in the loom to the stalk.

It was reasonably easy to access the stalk and strip it down. I gave the entire unit a good clean with an electrical cleaner while I had it apart, re-attached the wire into its connector, now all is good :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts