Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have tried all the keys and I cannot get the fuel filler flap to open. I have read the board for other makes that says they have a emergency release but I cannot find one on the modus. Any ideas anyone fuel os very low and I do not want to run out before then

Many thanks

P

·
0 Posts
I cant try this, because the wife car wont lock with the boot open, but....

open the hatch, remove the access panel on the right of the boot, and you'll see the rear light cluster.
Above that is the solenoid for the fuel flap, mounted vertically. If you feel your way down the solenoid, you can get your fingers onto the pin that drops into the flap from the top. If you can lift it enough, you might be able to open the flap

P

·
0 Posts
Can you not do the same as above, but reach round the car and close the flap while you have the lever lifted?

P

·
0 Posts
Then you have little choice but to take it out and buy a new solenoid :(

But perhaps wire it to a 12v supply to test it before you replace it :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for this timely post! Same thing happened to me, went to tank up and flap wouldn't open. Initially it looked like a garage job but following your instructions I managed to unlock it, and so far the peg is staying up. Point of information: the lever is almost out of reach and mine was very stiff, you missed the crucial steps of barking a knuckle and emitting the correct swearword before it comes free. This is turning out to be a typical Renault, brilliant design, superb build quality, excellent mechanicals, electrics salvaged from a skip outside the Fiat factory

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is my third Renault, plus I've hired a couple and had courtesy cars etc. In all that time I've never had a mechanical problem, just routine maintenance and replacement of wearing parts like tyres and brakes. One of the loaners had done over 150 000 miles and still drove like new. Every one has had at least one electrical problem, ranging from a duff switch through a replacement loom to a blown computer/relay board. I routinely have to reboot the sunroof to get it to close

·
Registered
1 Posts
I cant try this, because the wife car wont lock with the boot open, but....

open the hatch, remove the access panel on the right of the boot, and you'll see the rear light cluster.
Above that is the solenoid for the fuel flap, mounted vertically. If you feel your way down the solenoid, you can get your fingers onto the pin that drops into the flap from the top. If you can lift it enough, you might be able to open the flap
Thanks Pat - works a treat...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I dont suppose that it closes most of the way and then stops? On Mrs W's car it was the bug screen that was stopping it closing. A little lubrication and all was good
I was told by the fitter that it loses track of its position and detects imaginary fingers. He showed me how to open it to the maximum, press and hold the button on the switch until it clunks, then do the same in the opposite direction, after which it knows when it is nearly closed again. That sorts it until it goes again. Perhaps I'll see if there's a thread on this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just had the same fuel flap problem with my 57 Reg Modus - couldn't find the mechanical release but it worked just once more on the key to allow me to fill up. It was 8 days within the warranty so it's just been fixed at no charge. I was lucky but is this a frequent fault?

P

·
0 Posts
Not seen at all on Mrs W's 55 plate modus, but there are a few posts here now, so I guess its becoming one :(

Having said that her car is very low milage so the flap has had little use
It would be interesting to pull a failed one apart and see what went wrong with it, its hard to imagine that its getting wet

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine's in for a service in February, if you can hold your breath until then I'll tell you what they found.

The mechanism was very stiff when manually pushed so don't know if it's a mechanical alignment problem or a solenoid/electrical fault

·
Registered
3 Posts
If there is no manual release, easily accessible, which can open the flap when there is no electrical power, it seems to me a major conception flaw.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, I had read them before posting but this is not what I call "easily" accessible. Also I didn't find any mention of this emergency manual release in the users guide put perhaps I didn't look well enough?

As we are communicating, I see that you have a custom avatar. I haven't found a way of uploading mine. All I can do is select a generic one. Could I ask you how you uploaded yours, please?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts