Independent Renault Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
I'm not sure its in the manual, I went and looked for it when I saw the OP :)

You'll have to wait until you reach Diamond member status for the avatar I'm afraid. 100 posts and 30 says iirc

·
Registered
3 Posts
open the hatch, remove the access panel on the right of the boot, and you'll see the rear light cluster.
Above that is the solenoid for the fuel flap, mounted vertically. If you feel your way down the solenoid, you can get your fingers onto the pin that drops into the flap from the top. If you can lift it enough, you might be able to open the flap
I tried to make sense of what you wrote while looking at the content of what you describe but couldn't. I took a photograph of what I see when I remove the access panel on the right of the boot. I insert it here
. Hope you can see it and explain.

P

·
0 Posts
Cant see the image although I found the link in your post and attached it below

You need to look higher up :)

The solenoid is mounted vertically between the inner and outer bodywork

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry to be so ignorant but what does a solenoid look like? Is that it in the picture the straight piece of metal? Can you describe with the help of the photo where I need to access? I have looked through the manuel and there is nothing about emergency access to the fuel flap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This tip definitely worked, thank you. Although I did have to read the instructions more than once, because of not knowing what the "solenoid" looks or feels like, and where the lever was located. I also made the mistake of trying to feel down towards where I imagined the lever would be in line with the petrol flap.

So to help out a bit, the lever is on the left-hand side of the "solenoid" which is attached to the outer wall of the car panel (towards the outside of the car).
You can feel a cable or tube running down from the solenoid (about the size of a regular matchbox) towards the flap.
Feel towards the left of the solenoid for the lever. Once you know where to find it, it is quite easy to repeat the action.

Referring to a comment above, I can also confirm that "the plunger has dropped", and the flap will naturally not close. Does this mean that the next step is to replace the solenoid, or is it a part that can be repaired or reconditioned?

·
Registered
27 Posts
You won't believe this but it happened again on Saturday. I could not fix it this time so called the AA luckily they came out. They refused last time as they said it wasn't covered by my Renault Xtra membership! I have a very bruised left wrist, I have very small wrists and hands so heaven help anyone else trying to do it. They AA said to take it in to be checked.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My Modus 06 diesel locking mechanism has now given up the ghost after stuttering a few times, I have been thru all the posts and found the solenoid but after pushing/pulling every part of it nothing moves as suggested in the posts to release the locking bar upwards!! Any ideas as to this e.g. a different model solenoid on different years maybe??

God help me if I have to replace it as it looks as if:

1. You have to take numerous large sections of the panel in the boot off!

2. There is only a hole the size of a hand to work through!

I see in one of the posts that one of these servos had been left off prob after failure - easy to see why!

:crazy:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just an update to this saga, contacted Renault CS & after bit of bitching they agreed to cover 40% of cost of replacement flap release solenoid which came to just over £50 inc parts/labour - sure not a fortune, but enough for something that should last the life of the vehicle.

So...it pays to complain to Renault CS about anything which fails before it would be reasonable to expect it to - and on all too many Renaults this seems to be the electrics!

Also recently on my cd/radio the 2 channels started hopping between left & right so got a replacement from the local breakers, stuck it in and guess what - exactly the same - doh!

What was that I read in an earlier post - "electrics salvaged from a skip at the back of a Fiat factory"...unfortunately about right!

:eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
The same thing happened on our 2005 Modus tonight. Following the instructions in this thread, I managed to manually release the lid. Initially, it would not re-lock, just like with many others here.

What I did was to go berzerk with WD40 with the physical pin on top of the fuel cap that locks the fuel lid, and along with a few prayers I sprayed WD40 all over the solenoid as well.

Just like things typically tend to start working after a sufficiently liberal application of WD40, this did the trick tonight also. The pin consistently locked and unlocked at least twenty times over.

Thanks for this tips early in this thread and the clarification by Mr. Rose. Disaster averted for now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem. Thanks for previous excellent advice - gave me confidence to try to sort it out. To help future readers, I can add: my solenoid is black plastic and most of it can be seen by looking up from the removable cover in boot; the rod operating the release (or not!) seems to come out of the bottom of the solenoid; the lever to release the rod is directly above, with what feels like a 'walking stick' -shaped handle bending to the left as you put your index finger in - place index and next finger on solenoid and move them up as far as you can, then push up lever hard - in my case I sprayed with WD40 then pushed up hard and double-clicked key fob. Eureka!
Now flap opens and closes as normal, but will not lock,despite spraying more WD40 - who cares!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi I had this problem on our 2004 Modus 1.6.
I replaced the release mechanism.
It is a small electric motor inside the black box with a worm gear that extends the black plastic "pin" to lock the flap.
Ours seized so could not be released manually.
There is no mention of a release option in the user hand book because there is no dedicated alternative in the above circumstance.
As the worm gear and electric motor are sealed in the black "box" WD40 would not penetrate.
The replacement involves careful release of three trim panels.
Once you have access to the mechanism the exchange of new for old is very easy.
I assume that you low mileage ( average 2000mls per year ) has contributed to the initial problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone tried using the central locking switch. In certain operations the locks on none of the other door except the drivers will open from outside or inside unless the central locking is disabled by a double click. Good safety feature I think, but a common problem obviously. Maybe nobody cared to read about security features in their manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for all these helpful suggestions. As it happens, mine is a Grand Modus, which means the back end bodywork is a bit longer so the internal arrangements must be different and I can't reach or see anything to do with the filler lock mechanism just by using the rear light unit access - but I could remove the seat belt reel! The garage is obviously right in that a fairly extensive removal of the inner lining of the car will be necessary to get at the remote control solenoid or whatever.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts